Sweet and Sour Sauce – homemade Chinese sauce made with 6 simple ingredients. Perfect with chicken, pork or as a dipping sauce for dumplings or spring rolls!
If you visited my blog before, you may know that I like to make my own condiments whenever possible. Especially when it comes to Asian cuisine sauces. I almost always have my teriyaki sauce in my fridge, ready to go. It’s very convenient and made from ingredients I know. I add it to cooked chicken or pork and serve over rice. You can serve it with crispy spring rolls or fried potstickers.
- sesame oil
- low-sodium soy sauce
- brown sugar
- white sugar
- apple cider vinegar
- crushed red pepper flakes
How to make Sweet and Sour Sauce?
- Combine all ingredients (except cornstarch, water and crushed pepper flakes) in a saucepan and bring to simmer.
- Make cornstarch slurry and add to sauce. Cook until thickens.
- Store in a jar or use right away.
What does it taste like?
This sauce is tangy, not overly sweet and has a little heat from the crushed pepper flakes. You can adjust it to your liking by adding more sugar or vinegar. Skip the pepper flakes if you don’t want it to be spicy.
How to use this sauce:
- with chicken
- with pork
- for dipping dumplings, potstickers, spring rolls, etc.
How long does it last?
This homemade sauce will last for up to 2 weeks.
How to store this sauce?
I like to make a batch of this sauce and store it in a jar with lid, right in my fridge. Add it to cooked chicken or pork and heat up in a skillet.
More Asian recipes:
- Teriyaki Chicken Stir Fry
- Chicken Chow Mein
- 10-Minute Teriyaki Shrimp
- Firecracker Chicken
- Asian Sesame Dressing
For more recipes like this one, feel free to browse our Asian Category.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
Sweet and Sour Sauce - homemade Chinese sauce made with 7 simple ingredients. Perfect with chicken, pork or as a dipping sauce for dumplings or spring rolls!
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
In a medium saucepan, combine vinegar, soy sauce, oil, ketchup, brown sugar, white sugar and whisk well.
- Bring the mixture to simmer.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and water (cold, tap).
- Add cornstarch mixture to the sauce and whisk well. Simmer until it starts to thicken. Remove from heat.
- Add pepper flakes.
- Cool the sauce completely. It will thicken even more.
- Use the sauce right away or pour into a jar with lid.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate. Always use calorie counter you are familiar with.
- If you don't have apple cider vinegar, use white vinegar.