Firecracker Chicken – breaded chicken baked in sweet and spicy sauce. Serve it with rice or with veggies to make stir fry!
I am adding another easy Chinese chicken dish to my collection. This Firecracker chicken is perfect for those who love the spicy and sweet combo. Simply dredge chicken in cornstarch mixture, fry in a pan and then bake with the sweet and spicy sauce. I serve this dish with rice but you can saute vegetables and cook noodles to go with it as well. This dish is fantastic for meal prep. You can store it portioned in your fridge for up to 4 days.
- 1 lb chicken breast
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- hot sauce
- brown sugar
- apple cider vinegar or rice vinegar
- crushed red pepper flakes
Instructions step by step
Step 1: make the chicken
- Cut chicken breast into bite-size pieces. Season with salt and pepper.
- Whisk egg with cornstarch.
- Heat up oil in a pan. Dip each chicken piece in cornstarch-egg mixture and fry on both sides in the pan. It doesn’t have to be cooked all the way through as it will finish in the oven.
- Place chicken in a baking dish.
Step 2: make the sauce
- In a medium bowl, whisk hot sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, salt and red pepper flakes.
- Pour the sauce over chicken
Step 3: Bake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the dish with chicken into a preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes.
Can I make this dish ahead of time?
Yes! You can easily bake the chicken, then cool and store in the fridge for up to 4 days. The sauce will thicken even more during chilling so you may need to add a little bit of water during reheating.
More Asian recipes with chicken:
- Sweet and Sour Chicken
- Quick Teriyaki Chicken
- Skinny Orange Chicken
- Korean Chicken
- General Tso’s Chicken
- Shrimp Stir Fry
For more recipes like this one, feel free to browse our Asian Category.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
This Firecracker Chicken is made with breaded chicken baked in sweet and spicy sauce. Serve it with rice or with veggies to make stir fry!
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup hot sauce
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1.5 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes optional
Cut chicken into bite size pieces. Season with salt and pepper.
In a medium bowl, whisk egg. Add cornstarch and whisk until smooth.
Heat up oil in a skillet. Dip each chicken pieces in cornstarch mixture, then fry in the pan on both sides. It does not have to cook through, just brown on each side. Repeat with each chicken pieces. It is better to do it in batches.
Place chicken in a 10" x 7" baking dish.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a medium bowl, whisk together hot sauce, sugar, vinegar and salt.
Pour the sauce over chicken. Stir gently to make sure each piece is coated with sauce.
Bake for 30 minutes. The sauce will thicken and will be sticky.
Serve chicken over rice, garnished with chopped green onions and sprinkled with red pepper flakes.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate. Always use calorie counter you are familiar with.
- To make ahead: bake the chicken, then cool and store in the fridge for up to 4 days. The sauce will thicken even more during chilling so you may need to add a little bit of water during reheating.