General Tso's Chicken - deep-fried chicken tossed in a sweet Asian sauce. This easy takeout recipe is one of the best you can make at home!
One of the most popular Asian takeout dishes is General Tso's chicken. It's made with deep-fried chicken pieces with a crispy coating, then tossed with sweet sauce and served over rice. The sauce is very easy to make if you have just a few Asian cooking ingredients: hoisin sauce and rice vinegar. You can use apple cider vinegar as well. To save time, make the sauce ahead of time in a skillet and store in a jar until ready to use.
- chicken thighs (boneless, skinless) OR chicken breast
- 2 eggs
- olive oil
- chicken stock
- soy sauce
- brown sugar
- rice vinegar
- hoisin sauce
How to make General Tso's chicken?
Step 1: the chicken
- Cut chicken into bite-size pieces, dip in beaten eggs and then in flour mixture.
- Fry in hot oil until crispy.
Step 2: the sauce
- Saute garlic and ginger in a skillet.
- Mix sauce ingredients and add to skillet. Bring to simmer.
- Add chicken and toss together.
What does it taste like?
The chicken is crispy but will soak up the sauce. The sauce is sweet with definite Asian flavors, thanks to the soy sauce and hoisin sauce.
How to make it healthy?
To save on calories, skip the coating for chicken and simply saute the pieces in a skillet with oil until no longer pink. Add sauce and bring everything to simmer. Serve over rice.
More Asian dinners:
For more recipes like this one feel free to browse our Asian Category.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
General Tso's Chicken
- 1 and 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 and 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- In a small bowl, combine flour and cornstarch.
- Beat eggs in another small bowl.
- Heat up vegetable oil in a deep pot. When it reaches 340 degrees, it's ready for frying.
- Dip each piece of chicken in eggs, then in flour mixture. Carefully drop into the hot oil. Fry 5 to 6 pieces at a time. Fry for 3 to 4 minutes, turning once. Remove onto a paper towel.
- In a skillet, heat up olive oil. Add garlic and ginger and saute for 2 minutes.
- In a measuring cup or a small bowl, whisk together chicken stock, soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, hoisin sauce and cornstarch. Add to skillet and bring to simmer.
- Add fried chicken to sauce and toss together.
- Serve with rice and steamed vegetables.
- If you can't find hoisin sauce, you can make my homemade version: https://www.crunchycreamysweet.com/hoisin-sauce/
- If you want to save on calories, skip coating and deep-frying the chicken. Simply cook it in a pan with oil until no longer pink. Add the sauce and simmer everything together. Serve.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate. Always use calorie counter you are familiar with.