This delicious Moo Goo Gai Pan is a quick and easy chicken and mushroom stir fry for your busy weeknights! This vegetable-packed and saucy dish is perfect with rice.
What is Moo Goo Gai Pan? It's basically an Asian stir fry with chicken and mushrooms. It is common to add other vegetables, popular to Chinese cuisine, like snow peas, carrots, water chestnuts, cabbage, etc. This dish is very easy to make, especially if you have a frozen Asian veggie mix on hand. The sauce is nutty, salty and delicious. This stir fry is so much better than takeout and so easy to make at home.
Ingredients (your shopping list):
- chicken breast
- soy sauce
- sesame oil
- Asian stir fry vegetables (snow peas, edamame, carrots, baby corn, etc.)
- water chestnuts
- chicken stock
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- Start by preparing the marinade and pour it over chicken. Let it sit in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Cook rice or noodles in the meantime.
- Saute veggies, starting with carrots (unless you are using a steamable veggie mix). Add mushrooms and saute until fragrant. Remove onto a plate.
- Add more oil to skillet and cook chicken until no longer pink. Add all vegetables and stir in.
- In a small bowl, mix sauce ingredients and pour over chicken.
- Cook until sauce thickens.
- Serve over rice or noodles.
The sauce is very simple and made with chicken stock (low-sodium is recommended), cornstarch, soy sauce and sesame oil. Mix everything well together and pour over cooked chicken and veggies. Simmer until it thickens.
Can I make it into a vegetarian meal?
Absolutely! Skip the chicken and use tofu or add beans for protein. This dish is fantastic packed with veggies and served over cauliflower rice.
More easy Asian takeout recipes:
- 10-Minute Teriyaki Shrimp
- Chicken Teriyaki Stir Fry
- Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Chicken Chow Mein
- Easy Mongolian Beef
- Pan Fried Noodles
For more recipes, feel free to browse our Asian category.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out! 😀
Moo Goo Gai Pan
for stir fry:
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoon olive oil divided
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 6 oz. white mushrooms sliced
- Asian vegetable mix See note
- 8 oz. water chestnuts drained
for the sauce:
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Cut chicken into 1" bite-size pieces. Place in a medium bowl. Add vinegar and soy sauce and mix well. Sprinkle cornstarch over chicken and toss to coat. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Heat up 1 tablespoon of oil in a skillet. Add mushrooms and saute until soft and fragrant. If using steamable veggie mix, steam in the microwave and then stir in with mushrooms. Remove onto a plate. Set aside.
- Add more oil to the skillet. Add chicken and cook, stirring often, until no longer pink.
- Return veggies to skillet and stir in with chicken.
- In a small bowl, whisk chicken stock, cornstarch, soy sauce and sesame oil. Pour mixture over chicken and vegetables.
- Simmer on medium-low heat until the sauce thickens.
- Season the dish with salt and pepper. Serve over rice of noodles.