Sticky Asian Chicken - quick and easy chicken marinaded and broiled with sweet and spicy sauce. Perfect over rice or on a salad!
Busy day ahead? If just thinking about what to make for dinner gives you a headache, take a deep breath and take a look at this recipe. We are making Asian takeout chicken right in our own kitchen! Thanks to Mary Younkin, my dear blogger friend behind the Barefeet in the Kitchen blog, and her newest cookbook, "The Weekday Lunches and Breakfasts Cookbook" we can make Sticky Asian Chicken with just a few ingredients. It's perfect for lunch, served over a salad or for dinner, served over rice and steamed veggies.
This Sticky Asian Chicken is sweet and spicy, bursting with flavor and perfect for lunch bowls, quick dinners takeout style, simply served with a salad or in a sandwich. You can make it ahead by marinating the chicken for up to 24 hrs and then broiling it to perfection or cooking in a grilling pan.
- low-sodium soy sauce
- brown sugar
- chili paste
- chicken breasts
- green onion
Sticky Asian chicken is extremely easy to make. All you need is 5 simple ingredients that most likely are already in your pantry: soy sauce, brown sugar, chili paste, ginger, and garlic. Whisk them together and use half of the mixture to marinate the chicken. The longer (up to 24 hours), the better the flavor. Next, place chicken on a baking sheet and broil on both sides until done. Reduce the remaining sauce mixture and drizzle overcooked chicken. Enjoy over rice and steamed broccoli or add to Asian salad.
The combination of soy sauce and brown sugar coats the chicken and transforms into a sticky glaze during broiling. Mary also shares directions to make this dish in a grilled pan.
I love that the sauce mixture acts as a marinade as well. It helps infuse the chicken with flavor and the rest can be reduced to a sauce to drizzle over the finished dish. Mary recommends using at least 3 tablespoons of chili paste to truly make this a sweet and spicy flavor combo. You can go up to 6 tablespoons, depending on your preferences.
More Asian chicken recipes:
- Quick Teriyaki Chicken with rice and broccoli
- Cashew Chicken
- Easy Chicken Stir Fry
- Sesame Chicken
- Asian Chicken Wings
- Coconut Chicken
For more recipes like this one, feel free to browse our Asian Category.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
Sticky Asian Chicken recipe
- ¾ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 to 3 tablespoons chili paste
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- chopped green onions or parsley for garnish
- In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, sugar, chili paste, garlic and ginger.
- Cut chicken breasts in half horizontally. Place in a freezer bag. Add half of the sauce mixture. reserve the rest.
- Close the freezer bag and place in a fridge for 6 to 24 hours to marinade.
- Preheat oven to broil.
- Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil and arrange chicken on sheet. Broil chicken for 4 to 5 minutes on each side, until done. The inside should no longer be pink and the juices run clear.
- While chicken is broiling, pour remaining sauce mixture in a medium saucepan and cook over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes, until it thickens a little and is slightly reduced. Remove from heat and keep to serve with finished dish.
- Drizzle cooked chicken with sauce.