These Asian Chicken Wings are sweet, spicy, baked until caramelized and tossed with extra sauce. This easy appetizer is the best party food you will make!
I have finally created my favorite chicken wing recipe. It’s very easy to make and has minimal prep, which makes it my kind of food. The sweet and spicy sauce with a great sesame flavor is irresistible. You can use it as a marinade and then thicken with cornstarch to glaze the wings just before serving. Make sure to have extra napkins on hand because they are sticky. This is bound to be the best Asian appetizer you ever had!
- 1 lb chicken wings (if possible, already cut into sections)
- chili garlic sauce
- low-sodium soy sauce
- rice vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
- sesame oil
- brown sugar
- minced garlic
- salt and pepper
How to make Asian chicken wings?
This is one of the easiest chicken wings recipes. Simply bake them for 45 minutes, then toss with the thick sauce before serving.
Step 1: the sauce
- In a microwave-safe bowl, whisk together all sauce ingredients.
- Pour half over the chicken wings and reserve the rest. You can marinate the wings in the sauce for 30 minutes to 4 hours.
Step 2: the chicken wings
- If needed, cut the chicken wings into sections.
- Toss them with half the sauce mixture.
- Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes, flip each wing and bake for 25 minutes more.
Step 3: Assembly
- Add the cornstarch to the remaining sauce mixture and whisk in.
- Microwave the sauce for 20 seconds, stir and microwave for 15 seconds more. If the mixture is too thick for your liking, add a little bit of water and whisk it in.
- Roll each wing in the thick sauce.
- Serve right away.
More appetizer recipes:
For more recipes like this one, feel free to browse our Appetizer Category.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
These Asian Chicken Wings are sweet, spicy, baked until caramelized and tossed with extra sauce. This easy recipe is the best party food you will make!
- 1.5 lbs chicken wings
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons chili garlic sauce
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 4 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut the chicken wings into sections. Discard the tips and place drumettes and wings in a bowl. Season with salt.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, whisk together chili garlic sauce, brown sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil and garlic.
- Pour half of the sauce over chicken wings and toss to coat.
- Spread chicken wings in a single layer on a baking sheet. I lined mine with parchment paper for easy cleanup.
- Bake chicken wings for 20 minutes, flip each wing and bake for 25 minutes more.
- Add cornstarch to the remaining sauce and whisk in.
- Microwave for 20 seconds, then stir well.
- Microwave for 15 more seconds. The sauce should be thick. If not, add 1 more teaspoon of cornstarch whisked with 2 teaspoons of water.
- Roll each baked wing in the sauce right before serving.
- You can marinate the chicken in the sauce for 30 minutes to 4 hours. The flavor will be even deeper.
- Do not skip the sesame oil. It's essential for the flavor of this dish. You can buy it in the Asian section of your grocery store. A little bit goes a long way so it will last a while.
- You can use Sriracha sauce in place of the chili garlic sauce.
- I always use low-sodium soy sauce but if you don't have it on hand, use regular and skip the salt in this recipe.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate. Always use calorie counter you are familiar with.