These Cream Cheese Wontons are both crispy and creamy. The Rangoon style, fried dumplings are filled with seasoned cream cheese mixture. Simple yet irresistible!
When I am craving crispy and creamy appetizers, I go for these wontons. These deep-fried dumplings are irresistible! Even though the filling is quite simple, with just cream cheese, garlic powder and green onions, these wontons make for a satisfying treat. They are quite fun to make once you get the hang of folding the wrappers. Don't expect the first few ones to be perfect.
- wonton wrappers
- cream cheese
- garlic powder
- green onions
- oil for frying
How to make Cream Cheese Wontons?
- Heat up oil in a pot.
- Mix cream cheese with seasoning and chopped green onions. Set aside.
- Brush a wonton wrapper lightly with water and place 1.5 teaspoons of the filling in the center. Bring the same side corners together and pinch to seal. Bring the other corners to the center and pinch to seal. Make sure all edges are sealed or the filling will escape during frying and create a mess.
- Fry 4 to 5 wontons at a time in 350 degrees F oil until golden brown. Remove from oil and place on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Serve warm with dipping sauce.
More filling ideas:
- use my Hot Crab Dip mixture to fill the wonton wrappers before frying, Crab Rangoon style;
- mix ground pork with cabbage, carrots and a splash of soy sauce
- inside out: cut the wrappers into strips and fry until crispy; bake the cream cheese as a dip and serve with wonton chips
Serving and storing:
It is best to serve these wontons as soon as they are made since they will have the best, crispy texture. You can, however, prepare the filling ahead of time and store it in the fridge for up to 2 days, in a container with lid.
More easy Asian appetizer recipes:
For more recipes like this one, feel free to browse my Asian Category.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
Cream Cheese Wontons
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 green onion chopped
- 12 wonton wrappers
- vegetable oil for frying
- In a medium pot, heat up 3" of oil until it reaches 350 degrees F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix cream cheese with seasoning and chopped green onion. Set aside.4 oz cream cheese, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, 1 green onion
- Gently remove wrappers from the package. Set each one separately on a cutting board. Brush each wonton wrapper lightly with water (using a pastry brush or your finger) and place 1.5 teaspoons of the filling in the center. Bring the same side corners together and pinch to seal. Bring the other corners to the center and pinch to seal. Make sure all edges are sealed or the filling will escape during frying and create a mess.12 wonton wrappers
- Fry 4 to 5 wontons at a time in oil until golden brown. Remove from oil and place on a paper towel-lined plate to drain the grease.vegetable oil
- Serve warm with dipping sauce.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate. Always use calorie counter you are familiar with.
- The filling can be quite dense if you use a whisk or a fork to mix it with seasoning. For a lighter, whipped texture, use an electric hand-mixer.