Hot Crab Dip – creamy and cheesy dip with crab meat, cream cheese and cheddar. Perfect appetizer for seafood fans!
Football season is in full swing and so is my appetizer game! Every weekend, I make a different dip for us to enjoy and cheer on our team. This Hot Crab Dip is a current favorite. It is creamy, cheesy and full of delicious crab meat. It is very easy to jazz it up if garlic and onion are not enough. Add chopped peppers (red bell pepper, pimento or even jalapenos), stir in spinach, hot sauce or Sriracha to give it a kick. Either way, you have to make it for your next game day or party!
Ingredients (your shopping list):
- lump crab meat (not white premium), in a can
- cream cheese
- sour cream
- garlic powder
- salt and pepper
How to make it?
This hot dip is made with a creamy base of cream cheese, mayo and sour cream. It is seasoned with garlic powder, minced garlic, chopped onion and paprika.
Step 1: make the dip base
Stir in softened cream cheese, mayo and sour cream. Add seasoning, garlic and onion and stir.
Step 2: add crab meat
Stir in crab meat and half of the shredded cheese.
Step 3: Bake
Sprinkle shredded cheese on top and bake the dip until bubbly around the edges and cheese is melted.
- use well softened cream cheese for the best texture; cold cream cheese doesn’t mix well and the dip will be lumpy.
- use lump crab meat; not white or premium. It should have a texture of shredded chicken (but softer)
- use sweet onion or green onion
- use freshly shredded cheese as it melts better; store-bought shredded cheese is coated with starch
Since this dip is made with dairy products, it needs to be refrigerated. Any leftovers should be stored in a container with a lid.
Can I make it ahead of time?
Hot Crab Dip can be made and stored in the fridge for up to 3 days. You can easily reheat it in the microwave or in the oven. I do not recommend freezing it because cream cheese changes it’s texture once frozen.
What crab meat is best for a dip?
Make sure to buy lump crab meat. It has a texture of a shredded chicken. If you buy white (sometimes also called premium) crab meat, it will look like a watery pure and it won’t give the dip the needed texture.
How to serve it?
Most of the time, we enjoy this dip with tortilla chips or crackers. You can also serve it with a sliced and toasted baguette.
More dip recipes:
For more recipes like this, feel free to browse our Appetizer Category.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
This Hot Crab Dip is a creamy and cheesy dip with crab meat, cream cheese and cheddar. Perfect appetizer for seafood fans!
- 8 oz lump crab meat
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese divided
- 1.5 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Butter baking dish and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together cream cheese, mayo and sour cream.
- Add garlic, onion, seasoning and half of the cheddar cheese. Stir in.
- Add crab meat and stir in.
- Spread dip mixture in the prepared dish. Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake dip for 15 minutes or until its bubbly around the edges and the cheese is melted.
- Serve with crackers, chips or toasted baguette slices.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate.
- Make sure to buy lump crab meat. It has a texture of a shredded chicken. If you buy white (sometimes also called premium) crab meat, it will look like a watery pure and it won't give the dip the needed texture.