Snickerdoodle Pumpkin Cake – soft and moist pumpkin cake with snickerdoodle topping: cinnamon sugar! The addition of nuts makes it even better!
It’s my favorite cake but topped with a snickerdoodle coating: cinnamon sugar! I go through phases with cinnamon sugar when I want to put it on everything. Muffins, toasts, oatmeal, coffee, whatever I can get my hands on.
There are also walnuts! Chopped walnuts sprinkled over the cinnamon sugar topping. So good! You can use pecans or a mix. Whatever you have on hand. Or completely skip them if your diet requires it. The cake is the star here and I think you guys will love it! This dessert is perfect for a weekend afternoon or a get-together with friends. It’s great enjoyed with a cup of tea or coffee (or wine!!) while chatting about a trip to pumpkin patch with kids, or simply catching up. I served it for our last Sunday Morning for 2 time (you can follow our series on INSTAGRAM!) and it was a fantastic morning treat.
Yields 12 servings
15 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 2 and 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 and 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 and 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 and 1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- In a small bowl, mix together sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour a 13" x 9" baking pan. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda, brown sugar, granulated sugar, salt and pumpkin spice.
- In another bowl, whisk together pumpkin puree, eggs, vanilla, oil and buttermilk.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk together until smooth. Whisk for about a minute (I use a whisk but you can use a hand-held mixer).
- Pour the batter into prepared pan. Tap the pan against your counter to release any air bubbles.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar all over the surface of the cake batter. Sprinkle with nuts.
- Bake the cake for 32 to 35 minutes OR until a toothpick inserted in few places near the center comes out clean.
- Cool to room temperature and slice.
You can half the recipe for a 8" x 8" baking pan.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet or #crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out!