Creamy Roasted Tomato Soup Recipe – rich in flavor creamy soup that is the best served with thick grilled cheese. This tomato soup is healthy and made with a handful of ingredients.
ROASTED TOMATO SOUP
A big bowl of thick and creamy soup with a side of thick grilled cheese is total comfort food and for many, a go-to lunch or even dinner. This time, the vegetables were roasted to create the base for the soup. You may already know, I am a huge fan of roasting vegetables. The best way to bring out the flavors and deepen and enrich them is to drizzle vegetables with a little bit of olive oil, sprinkle with salt, pepper and spices of choice and roast in the oven until they start to caramelize. Once done, blend until smooth and serve.
Did I mention this soup is healthy? There is no sugar, canned ingredients or dairy added (unless you add grated Parmesan). It also needs only a handful of ingredients. You have to try it!
How to make Roasted Tomato Soup?
- Arrange tomatoes and onions on a baking sheet. Drizzle olive oil and sprinkle spices over vegetables.
- Roast until fragrant and the onion slices are brown on the ends. You don’t want to completely dry out the tomatoes, so about 30 minutes should be enough to roast them.
- Once done, cool slightly, then place everything (juices from the bottom of the baking pan too!) in a blender and blend until smooth. The soup will be thick and very fragrant. You can add a cup or two of chicken or vegetable broth or stock to make more. The soup straight from the blender has a very creamy texture and I didn’t need the addition of cream but if you are welcome to add some.
Roasted Tomato Soup ingredients:
- ripe tomatoes
- olive oil
What tomatoes are the best for soup?
I used on-the-vine tomatoes as that’s what I had on hand but any kind of tomatoes will work. The best would be straight from your garden of course!
What other vegetables can I use to make this soup?
I think this soup would be absolutely fantastic with carrots and butternut squash in place of tomatoes. Delicious!
Toppings and garnish
A classic garnish for a tomato soup would be grated Parmesan cheese, a handful of my buttery Homemade Croutons and a sprinkle of chopped parsley. I absolutely love and recommend using chopped celery leaves. They have a delicious flavor that fits the roasted tomatoes.
MORE SOUP RECIPES:
For more delicious soup recipes, feel free to browse our Soup Category.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
ROASTED TOMATO SOUP RECIPE:
- 1.5 lbs tomatoes about 6 tomatoes
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- grated Parmesan optional garnish
- chopped celery leaves optional garnish
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a 13" x 9" rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Quarter tomatoes, thick slice the onion. Arrange all on prepared sheet.
- Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle salt and pepper over tomatoes. Toss gently to coat.
- Roast tomatoes for about 30 minutes OR until there is juice on the bottom of pan and onion slices are brown at the edges. Do not over bake or they will dry out.
- Remove pan from oven and let cool slightly, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Place tomatoes, onion along with all of the juices from the bottom of the pan into a blender. Blend until smooth. Stop and scrape the sides of blender with spatula if needed.
- The soup will be thick and creamy.
- Pour into bowl, garnish and serve with grilled cheese or croutons.
I used on-the-vine variety of tomatoes. Any kind will work. You can use carrots and butternut squash in place of tomatoes. The roasting time may be longer. You can add chicken or vegetable stock or broth to the soup to make a larger amount.