This easy Lasagna Soup is an easy and flavorful comfort food idea for busy days. Ground beef and noodles are cooked together in tomato based soup, then topped with ricotta and Parmesan cheese.
One pot meals are one of the easiest you can make. There is minimal prep and clean up afterward and since the ingredients are cooking together, the flavors are stronger and richer. This One Pot Lasagna Soup is so much easier to make than layering ingredients in a pan for a classic lasagna and then baking it. You won’t also have a stack of dishes to clean. Everything cooks together in one Dutch oven. This rich and full of flavor Lasagna Soup is bound to become the meal your family asks for after a busy day this holiday season.
How to make Lasagna Soup?
- Saute garlic and onions in olive oil. Add Italian seasoning and saute for 2 minutes, stirring often. I like to add seasoning to sauteing onion and garlic because I find that it really brings out the flavors.
- Add ground meat and cook until done.
- Add liquid ingredients, seasoning, diced tomatoes, and noodles. Simmer and cook until the noodles are done.
- Top each bowl of soup with grated Parmesan cheese and dollops of ricotta cheese.
Lasagna Soup Ingredients (your shopping list):
- olive oil
- ground beef or Italian sausage
- Italian seasoning
- salt and black pepper
- bay leaf
- crushed red pepper flakes
- oven-ready style lasagna noodles
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 large can crushed tomatoes
- vegetable stock
- ricotta cheese
- Parmesan cheese
Can I Freeze Lasagna Soup?
You can place all ingredients for the soup, except the noodles, and freeze in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. Cook Lasagna Soup can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days. Add cheese just before serving.
Can I make this soup in my slow cooker?
This soup is perfect to make in your crockpot. Place all ingredients in the pot and cook for 3 hours on the LOW setting.
Can I make this soup in my Instant Pot?
Absolutely! Follow instructions in the recipe below, add an additional 1/2 cup of vegetable stock and set the timer to cook for 6 minutes. Once done, wait 2 minutes, then release the pressure.
Lasagna Soup Variations:
- vegetarian: add cooked lentils or great Northern beans for protein in place of meat
- gluten-free: use your favorite gluten-free pasta. Make sure you follow the cooking time on the box.
- low-carb: skip noodles and use zucchini, cut into wide strips
More Delicious Soup recipes:
- Roasted Tomato Soup
- 20-Minute Tomato Tortellini Soup
- 20-Minute Enchilada Soup
- Creamy Carrot Soup
- Lentil Soup
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
This Lasagna Soup is an easy and flavorful comfort food idea for busy days. Ground beef and noodles are cooked together in tomato based soup, then topped with ricotta and Parmesan cheese.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 30 oz. crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken stock
- 1.5 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 7 uncooked lasagna noodles oven-ready style
- fresh Italian parsley chopped
- ricotta cheese
- Parmesan cheese
In a large Dutch oven, heat up olive oil and butter. Add garlic and onion and saute for 2 minutes, stirring often, until onion is almost translucent. Add Italian seasoning and crushed red peppers. Saute for 1 minute. It should be fragrant.
- Add ground beef and cook until done, stirring often.
Add crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, stock, salt, pepper, pepper flakes, bay leaf and noodles, broken into 1" to 2" pieces. Make sure no noodles are stuck together. Stir well.
- Bring mixture to boil, reduce heat to simmer and cook, covered, stirring once in a while, until the noodles are done.
- Serve garnished with chopped Italian parsley, grated Parmesan cheese and dollops of ricotta cheese.
For this recipe, I recommend and like to use oven-ready style lasagna noodles as they cook faster. Regular lasagna noodles will work too.
This post was originally published on December 18th, 2017 and updated on June 7th, 2019.