This Lentil Soup is packed with lentils, vegetables and Italia herbs. It’s a healthy and vegetarian option rich in protein and flavor!
Every Monday, I make a vegetarian dinner for my family. Since the soup season is here, this Lentil Soup is making an appearance on our menu. It is filling, healthy, flavorful and packed with lentils and vegetables. Start by sauteing the vegetables and seasoning. This helps create a flavorful base for the soup. Add lentils and liquids and simmer soup until everything is cooked. I like to throw in a handful of chopped kale or spinach just before serving. Meatless Monday never looked so delicious!
- green or brown lentils
- olive oil
- Italian seasoning
- dried oregano
- vegetable stock
- crushed tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- bay leaf
Step 1: Veggies
Heat up oil in the Dutch oven. Add onion, carrot and celery. Saute for 3 minutes.
Step 2: Seasonings
Add garlic and seasonings. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes. This activates the dried herbs and ensures the soup will be flavorful.
Step 3: Lentils
Add lentils and stir everything together. Saute for 2 minutes.
Step 4: Liquids
Add vegetable stock, water and crushed tomatoes. Stir everything together. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to simmer and cook soup, covered, for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring once in a while.
Do I need to soak lentils before cooking?
There is no need to soak the lentils before making this soup. You can rinse them and pick over.
Can I freeze this soup?
Yes! This lentil soup freezes very well. Once completely cooled, place soup in freezer-safe containers and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge and reheat.
Can I make this soup in a slow cooker?
To make this soup in the slow cooker, follow steps 1 and 2 on a stovetop, then combine everything in the slow cooker. Cook on LOW for 5 hours or on HIGH for 3 hours.
Can I make it in the Instant Pot?
If you have a digital pressure cooker, you can make this soup even faster. Simply follow the steps but in the Instant Pot instead of the Dutch oven. Once all ingredients are combined, close the lid and set valve to the sealing position. Make sure the IP is set to cook on HIGH pressure. Press the “manual” setting and set the timer to 15 minutes. Do a quick pressure release, remove the lid and stir the soup.
More easy soup recipes:
For more recipes like this, feel free to browse our Soup Category.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
This Lentil Soup is packed with lentils, vegetables and Italia herbs. It's a healthy and vegetarian option rich in protein and flavor!
- Chop onion, carrots and celery.
- In a Dutch oven or soup pot, heat up oil over medium heat.
- Add chopped onion, carrots and celery. Saute, stirring often, for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and seasoning. Stir in and saute for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add lentils and stir in. Saute for 3 minutes.
- Add all liquids and bay leaf. Stir everything together. Bring soup to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer and cook soup, covered, for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the lentils are cooked. Stir often.
- Once done, remove soup from heat. Cool soup for 10 minutes or so, then serve.
- To freeze: cool soup completely, then transfer to freezer-safe containers. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- You can add seasonal vegetables to this soup: sweet potatoes, zucchini, sweet corn, kale, spinach, etc.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate. Always use calorie counter you are familiar with.