20-Minute Tomato Tortellini Soup Recipe – quick and easy soup that’s hearty and filling. This tomato soup with cheese filled tortellini is a family favorite for sure!
20-MINUTE TOMATO TORTELLINI SOUP
Raise your hand if you love soup season too! I totally do! When the temperatures fall into a wear-three-layers-of-clothes level, all I want is a big bowl of belly-warming soup, like my Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup or my Roasted Tomato Soup. Best if it’s full of flavor but quick and easy to make. One of the easiest ways to add flavor to a simple soup like this is to toast the seasoning in butter, along with garlic and onion. They become fragrant and you can actually taste them. I highly recommend trying it!
This 20-Minute Tomato Tortellini Soup is a family favorite around here. I love how quick and easy it is to whip up and my kids love the cheese filled pasta with their favorite soup. Lunch ready in 20 minutes! Done and done.
HOW TO MAKE TOMATO TORTELLINI SOUP?
- Start with sauteing garlic and onion in butter or olive oil. Add Italian seasoning when the onion is just translucent. Stirring often, saute for 2 minutes.
- Add all the liquids and simmer the soup for about 5 minutes. Add tortellini ( I used cheese-filled tortelloni which is just a little bit bigger than tortellini but you can use any kind you like ) and cook until done about 7 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in half and half or heavy cream if desired. Garnish with chopped parsley or fresh basil and serve.
To make it creamy, add 1/4 cup of heavy cream or half and half to keep it light. I also love adding spinach to the simmering soup and garnish it with grated mozzarella soup.
MORE SOUP RECIPES:
- 20-Minute Chicken Noodle Soup – a classic and loved by so many!
- 20-Minute Chicken Enchilada Soup – spicy and delicious!
- Roasted Tomato Soup
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Creamy Carrot Soup
- Lentil Soup
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 can 28oz. crushed tomatoes
- 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 oz. fresh or frozen tortelloni or 12 oz. of tortellini
- In a large Dutch oven, heat up butter over medium heat. Add minced garlic and chopped onion and saute, stirring often, until the onion is just becoming translucent.
- Add Italian seasoning and saute for 2 minutes, stirring often.
- Add vegetable stock, crushed tomatoes and diced tomatoes to Dutch oven. Stir well.
- Bring to simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add tortellini and cook until done, about 7 minutes. Check after 5 minutes. Stir once in a while.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove soup from heat. Stir half and half or heavy cream if using.
- Serve garnished with chopped parsley and/or grated Parmesan or mozzarella cheese.
You can use one tablespoon of butter and one tablespoon of olive oil in step 1.