Chicken Pot Pie Soup - easy and creamy soup that tastes like a chicken pot pie filling but without the hassle of making a whole pie. Serve with a side of fluffy drop biscuits for a quick and filling weeknight dinner your whole family will love!
Serve this soup with my Flaky Buttermilk Biscuits or my Cheesy Garlic Breadsticks.
CHICKEN POT PIE SOUP
Busy moms love shortcuts. We also love making delicious and filling meals for our families. This Chicken Pot Pie recipe combines the two and instantly became a winner in our house. It's my favorite part of the pie without making the crust and then hoping that the bottom is not soggy and uncooked. This soup is easy, fool-proof and absolutely fantastic! Comfort food at it's best, even if it only took 30 minutes to make it.
How to make Chicken Pot Pie Soup?
Start by cooking chicken in a large stockpot. Once done, remove chicken onto a plate and set it aside.
Next, cook onion, garlic, and mushrooms until onion is almost translucent.
Add potatoes, celery, and carrots and stir everything together.
Whisk milk, chicken broth, flour (or cornstarch) and Italian seasoning. Add to vegetables and stir together. Bring mixture to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes, until veggies are soft.
Cook until potatoes and carrots are soft, about 12 to 15 minutes. Add peas and cooked chicken and stir together to warm everything up.
Serve with biscuits.
What do you need to make this soup (your shopping list):
- chicken breast
- baby carrots
- frozen peas
- Yukon gold potatoes
- white mushrooms
- chicken broth
- whole milk or half and half
- flour or cornstarch
- Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper
How long does it take to make this soup?
This soup is filled with vegetables and chicken and cooks in just 30 minutes. For even shorter prep time, you can chop the veggies and store together in a freezer bag and use cooked chicken. I served this soup with my favorite drop biscuits that always come out fluffy and delicious.
More Easy Soup Recipes:
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out!
Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces
- ¾ cup baby carrots diced
- ¾ cup frozen peas
- ½ medium yellow onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 Yukon gold potatoes peeled and diced
- 2 celery ribs diced
- 3 white mushrooms washed, sliced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cups whole milk or half and half
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour OR 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large stock pot, melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Add chicken and cook over medium heat stirring often, until chicken is no longer pink. Remove chicken onto a plate and set aside.
- To the pot, add onion, garlic and mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until onion is almost translucent.
- Add potatoes, celery and carrots and stir all vegetables together.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together milk, chicken broth, flour (or cornstarch) and Italian seasoning. Add to pot with vegetables. Stir together. Bring to boil. Reduce the heat and simmer.
- Cook until potatoes and carrots are soft, about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Add peas and cooked chicken and stir together.
- Serve with fluffy drop biscuits.
This post was originally published on January 11th, 2016 and updated on June 4th, 2019.
Krista Wallace says
Can I make this in the instapot???
What is the serving size of this soup?
We have eaten so much soup this winter - I need to add this one to the menu!!
This looks like the ultimate comfort food! Gorgeous photos too!
What a smart idea to soupify chicken pot pie! So perfect for chilly weather now.
As a busy "non-Mom" I love recipes like this! Perfect for making after a busy work day 🙂
Yes! Thanks, Sues!