Greek Salad with Barley Recipe – fresh and bursting with flavor salad with Mediterranean flavors and barley. Great for meal prep!
GREEK SALAD WITH BARLEY
Fresh and bursting with flavors salad is exactly what I am craving right now. Bonus points, if it’s quick and easy to make and enjoy for lunch or as a lighter dinner. This Greek Salad with Barley is just that. It’s delicious, nutritious and quick to make. Use any grain you like or turn it into a pasta salad.
This Greek Salad with Barley is perfect for brunches, potlucks, get-togethers and will disappear quickly. It’s also fantastic for meal prep. Make it ahead, divide into containers and enjoy through the week. To turn this salad into a complete meal, use my new recipe for Greek Salmon Salad. It’s fantastic!
HOW TO MAKE GREEK SALAD?
Fresh salad with Mediterranean flavors is very simple to whip up.
- Chop tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion and olives.
- Add simple vinaigrette, made with olive oil, lemon juice and spices and toss everything together.
- Serve with a generous garnish of crumbled feta cheese or even use cubed feta as one of the main ingredients in this salad. Add grain, like barley, or pasta and enjoy for a healthy lunch.
Simply, to jazz it up a little. Most salads with grain use farro or quinoa. Barley should not only be in your beef soup. It’s great for salads too! Barley is lower in fat and calories and higher in fiber than other grains. It’s rich in selenium, B vitamins, magnesium and niacin among others. I like to add it to my diet because it’s great for those who have anemia. Search “barley benefits” for more information.
If you are not a fan of barley or simply don’t have it on hand, use the following in it’s place: cooked farro, quinoa, any rice you like, or pasta. I think orzo would be perfect in this salad!
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
CRAVING MORE EASY SALADS? Check out these delicious recipes:
GREEK SALAD WITH BARLEY RECIPE:
- 1 medium cucumber
- 1/2 medium red onion
- 3/4 cup olives
- 1.5 cups cooked barley
- 2 to matoes
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- parsley for garnish
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Peel cucumber and chop. Chop tomatoes.
- Slice red onion into thin slices. Place all vegetables in a mixing bowl.
- Add cooked and cooled barley. Stir well.
- In a measuring cup, whisk together oil, vinegar, lemon juice and spices. Drizzle over vegetables.
- Serve garnished with feta cheese and chopped parsley.
Use the following in place of barley if desired: cooked farro, orzo pasta, bow tie pasta, quinoa, any rice, etc.
To make ahead, store dressing separately and add to salad before eating.