Fried Cabbage with bacon is a simple yet flavorful side dish made with just a few ingredients. Make it in 20 minutes or up to 2 days ahead.
Fried Cabbage is an Irish side dish, but doesn’t have to be served only on St. Patrick’s Day. This dish is quick and delicious and perfect served with pork, chicken or sausage (like I did in my Cabbage and Noodles recipe). I start with cooking bacon and then fry the onion and cabbage in the bacon grease. Talk about delicious! You can use it as a side dish or as a topping on grilled sausage or brats. I use the same technique in my Cabbage Soup recipe too!
- green cabbage
- yellow onion
- soy sauce
- salt and pepper
How to fry cabbage?
- Start by frying bacon in a large skillet. Once crispy, remove it onto a plate.
- Add onion to the bacon grease and saute just until it is translucent.
- Add cabbage to the skillet and stir in. If you like it slightly crunchy, cook for 3 to 4 minutes. If you like it soft, cook for 8 to 10 minutes. Stir often.
Can I make it ahead of time?
Absolutely! This side dish is perfect made up to 2 days in advance. It reheats really well (in a pan or microwave).
Any leftovers should be stored in a container with lid, in the fridge, for up to 3 days.
How to cut cabbage for frying?
Start by removing the outer leaves. They can be damaged and dirty from sitting on a store shelf. Next, slice the cabbage in half and cut out the core of each half. It is the hard part at the bottom of the cabbage head. Next, you can use a food processor, a mandoline or simply a knife and shred the cabbage. Try not to make the slices too thin.
What can I serve it with?
This dish is perfect served with any meat:
- with sausage: add smoked sausage, cut into 1″ pieces. Cook the sausage in a pan first, then add cabbage.
- with potatoes: add cooked potatoes, cut into 1″ pieces. Stir in together.
- red cabbage: use both for a pretty color and added flavor.
More easy side dish recipes:
- Best Sauteed Spinach
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Sweet Corn Casserole
- Roasted Green Beans
- Roasted Asparagus
- Sauteed Mushrooms
For more recipes like this one, feel free to browse our Side Dish Category.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
Fried Cabbage with bacon is a simple yet flavorful side dish made with just a few ingredients. Make it in 20 minutes or up to 2 days ahead. Serve it with pork chops, pork tenderloin, roasted chicken or sausage.
- 5 cups shredded green cabbage 1/2 of a head
- 4 slices of bacon chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
In a large pan, cook bacon until crispy.
Remove it onto a plate and set aside. If your bacon is fatty, spoon out half into a small bowl. You can use it later if needed.
Add onion to bacon grease in the pan. Cook stirring often, until it turns translucent.
Add cabbage and stir in. Fry for 4 to 5 minutes, if you like cabbage with a bite to it, or for 8 to 10 minutes, if you like it soft.
Add bacon back to cabbage and stir in.
Season with salt and pepper and serve.
- This side dish is perfect made up to 2 days in advance. It reheats really well (in a pan or microwave).
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate. Always use calorie counter you are familiar with.