Crispy on the outside and soft in the center, these healthy, baked Sweet Potato Fries are crazy delicious and fast! All you need is oil, cornstarch, spices, and sweet potatoes.
We enjoy these fries with Air-Fryer Chicken Nuggets for a totally kid-approved meal or with my Baked Honey Mustard Chicken since both can bake in the oven in the same time!
Raise your hand, if you never say no to a plate of fresh-cooked fries! Me too! What if you could make a plateful of sweet potato fries that are actually crispy yet baked in the oven? Sign me up! These fries are so much better for you than deep-fat fried ones. They are also so easy to make and great to snack on or serve as a side dish. Perfect for light dinner and 100% kid-approved!
- sweet potatoes
- olive oil
- garlic powder
- salt and pepper
How to make sweet potato fries?
- Start by placing cut potatoes in a bowl. Drizzle them with olive oil and shake to coat.
- Sprinkle cornstarch and spices over fries and toss to coat.
- Spread fries in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Bake until crispy, flipping once halfway through baking time.
How do you cut sweet potatoes for fries?
Start by peeling the potatoes. Next cut into ½" thick slices lengthwise, then each slice into fries. Try to keep them the same length.
- cut even size fries - this goes for roasting all vegetables; even pieces bake perfectly at the same time.
- toss with cornstarch - that is the secret to crispy homemade fries. It works with regular potatoes too!
- bake in 425 degrees F - higher temperature helps create crispy fries with a soft center.
- flip half-way through baking - turning the fries over after the first 15 minutes will ensure even baking.
Dipping sauce ideas:
- honey mustard: combine ¼ cup mustard, ¼ cup mayo and 3 tablespoons of honey
- sriracha mayo: mix ½ cup mayo and 1 tablespoon of sriracha
- honey lemon: mix ½ cup mayo, 1 teaspoon lemon zest, 1 tablespoon lemon juice and 2 tablespoons honey
More side dish recipes:
- Steamed Broccoli
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Easy Oven-Roasted Potatoes
- Crispy Zucchini Fries
- Sauteed Green Beans
For more recipes like this one, feel free to browse my Side Dish Category.
What to serve with these fries?
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
Crispy Sweet Potato Fries
- 1.5 lbs sweet potatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1.5 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- Peel potatoes and cut into fries (see note).
- Place in a mixing bowl. Add oil and toss to coat.
- Mix cornstarch with garlic powder, paprika and black pepper. Sprinkle over fries. Toss to coat.
- Spread fries in a single layer on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Flip fries onto the other side and bake 10 more minutes. Check if you are happy with the texture, bake up to 5 minutes more if desired.
- Salt fries. Serve with dipping sauce for snack or appetizer or as a side dish.
- Cut potatoes into ½" thick slices lengthwise, then into ¼" thick fries. Try to keep them the same length.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate. Always use calorie counter you are familiar with.
What are some substitutes for cornstarch if I am out of it? Flour?
I tried this and the crisp that resulted is amazing, wow! Thanks a lot
That's fantastic! Thank you, Haley!
I have never been satisfied when I have made my own fries. Now I know why! I was missing the cornstarch!
Yep! That's the secret!
Kristy Denney says
We are obsessed with sweet potato fries! Love the tips for making them crispy!
Me too! They are so tasty!
I can't ever resist a batch of baked sweet potato fries, though I rarely make them at home. This recipe looks delish!
Thank you, Emily!
Sweet potato fries are my absolute FAVORITE! These look so yummy!
Aren't they the best? Thanks, Jamielyn!
Mallory Lanz says
The best tips and tricks for perfect sweet potato fries.
Rachael Yerkes says
I could munch on these all day long! In love! My baby loves them too!
They are a favorite with kiddos for sure!