Baked Honey Mustard Chicken is the best recipe for baked chicken breast with honey mustard sauce. Seasoning chicken and searing it before baking creates an incredibly rich flavor in this dish.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
When you sear a seasoned chicken in a hot pan and then baked it in the oven, covered with sweet and tangy sauce, magic happens. You can make the best juicy and flavorful chicken with just a few ingredients.
This recipe makes the best oven-baked chicken, and no small bit of flavor is left behind. You can sear the chicken in a pan and bake in a baking dish or sear and bake in a cast iron skillet.
The honey mustard sauce is rich and flavorful. This chicken dish is perfect for a lazy weekend as well as a busy weekday because the prep time is quite short.
What You'll Need:
- chicken: boneless skinless breasts or thighs;
- mustard: Dijon and whole-grain;
- honey: adds sweetness and balances flavors with mustard;
- apple cider vinegar: tenderizes the meat;
- seasoning: Italian seasoning, paprika, salt, pepper
- garlic: adds flavor to the dish;
- olive oil: helps the chicken brown during searing;
- chicken stock: for the sauce; I used low-sodium.
How to make baked honey mustard chicken?
- Start by mixing seasoning and rubbing it on both sides of the chicken breasts.
- Heat up oil in a pan and sear chicken on both sides.
- Mix honey, vinegar, and both mustards to make a sauce.
- Place chicken in a 2qt baking dish (or use a cast iron skillet for searing and baking) and pour the sauce over the chicken.
- Bake in a preheated oven, covered for 20 minutes, then uncovered for 5 more minutes. Check the internal temperature of each chicken breast to make sure it is cooked through.
Can I use chicken thighs to make this recipe?
Absolutely! You can use skinless boneless or bone-in chicken thighs to make this recipe. They will cook faster, so check the internal temperature after 15 minutes of baking.
What to serve with honey mustard chicken?
I serve this chicken dish with mashed potatoes and pour the sauce on top. You can also make roasted potatoes and cook them in the oven at the same time. Steamed or roasted broccoli, Instant Pot Brussels sprouts with bacon or a simple Creamy Cucumber Salad are all great side dish options.
Since we seared the chicken breast before baking, the baking time is only 20 to 25 minutes. Check the internal temperature of each chicken breast to make sure each piece is cooked through. The thermometer should read at least 165 degrees F.
More easy chicken recipes:
If you like this recipe and make it, let me know in the comments below! Don't forget to rate it if you enjoyed it!
Baked Honey Mustard Chicken
- 2 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt I used sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- 1 ½ tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 ½ tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup honey
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- In a small bowl, mix together minced garlic, 1 teaspoon olive oil, paprika, salt and Italian seasoning.
- Coat each chicken breast with seasoning mixture.
- In a medium skillet, heat up olive oil. Sear each chicken breast, 2 to 3 minutes per side, until golden brown.
- Remove from skillet and place in 2qt baking dish. (see notes for searing and baking in cast iron skillet).
- In another small bowl, whisk honey, vinegar and both mustards.
- Add ¼ cup of chicken stock to the pan and deglaze it, by scraping any baked-on bits from searing the chicken. You don't want to skip this step, as there is a lot of flavor in the pan.
- Add honey mustard sauce to the pan and whisk together. Pour the mixture over chicken.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for 5 more minutes.
- Check the internal temperature of each chicken breast. If it reads at least 165° F, the chicken is done.
- Remove dish from oven and let it stand 10 minutes before serving.
- If you want to use a cast iron skillet, sear the chicken and remove it onto a plate. Deglaze the pan and add the sauce. Return chicken to the pan and turn over in the sauce, to coat. Cover and bake per the instructions above.
- You can use chicken thighs to make this dish.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate. Always use a calorie counter you are familiar with.