Baked Honey Mustard Chicken – the best recipe for baked chicken breast with honey mustard sauce. Seasoning chicken and searing it before baking creates the incredibly rich flavor in this dish.
HONEY MUSTARD CHICKEN
When you sear a seasoned chicken in a hot pan and then baked it in the oven, covered with sweet and tangy sauce, magic happens. You can make the best juicy and flavorful chicken with just a few ingredients. This recipe makes the best oven-baked chicken, and no small bit of flavor is left behind. You can sear the chicken in a pan and bake in a baking dish or sear and bake in a cast iron skillet. The honey mustard sauce is rich and flavorful. This chicken dish is perfect for a lazy weekend as well as a busy weekday because the prep time is quite short.
Honey Mustard Chicken Ingredients (your shopping list):
- chicken breasts
- Dijon mustard
- whole-grain mustard
- apple cider vinegar
- Italian seasoning
- olive oil
- chicken stock
How to make Honey Mustard Chicken?
- Start by mixing seasoning and rubbing it on both sides of the chicken breasts.
- Heat up oil in pan and sear chicken on both sides.
- Mix honey, vinegar, and both mustards to make a sauce.
- Place chicken in a 2qt baking dish (or use cast iron skillet for searing and baking) and pour the sauce over chicken.
- Bake in a preheated oven, covered for 20 minutes, then uncovered for 5 more minutes. Check the internal temperature of each chicken breast to make sure it is cook through.
Can I use chicken thighs to make this recipe?
Absolutely! You can use skinless boneless or bone-in chicken thighs to make this recipe. They will cook faster, so check the internal temperature after 15 minutes of baking. You can also use chicken wings, like in this recipe for Honey Mustard Chicken Wings from Lexi’s Clean Kitchen.
How long do you bake chicken?
Since we seared the chicken breast before baking, the baking time is only 2o to 25 minutes. Check the internal temperature of each chicken breast to make sure each piece is cook through. The thermometer should read at least 165 degrees F.
Can I add potatoes to this dish?
Yes! You can add potatoes, green beans, peppers, etc. and bake it all together. I love baby potatoes with roasted chicken, you can see my recipe for Skillet Chicken and Potatoes for instructions. You can also arrange vegetables on a baking sheet and roast them in the same time in the oven.
What to serve with Baked Honey Mustard Chicken?
I serve this chicken dish with mashed potatoes and pour the sauce on top. You can also make roasted potatoes and cook them in the oven in the same time. Steamed or roasted broccoli, Instant Pot Brussels sprouts with bacon or a simple Creamy Cucumber Salad are all great side dish options.
More Easy Chicken Recipes:
- French Onion Roasted Chicken
- Lemon Garlic Roasted Chicken
- Garlic Herb Chicken and Potatoes
- Chicken Francese
- Creamy Lemon Garlic Chicken
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
The best recipe for baked chicken breast with honey mustard sauce. Seasoning chicken and searing it before baking creates the incredibly rich flavor in this dish.
- 2 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt I used sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 1.5 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1.5 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, mix together minced garlic, 1 teaspoon olive oil, paprika, salt and Italian seasoning.
- Coat each chicken breast with seasoning mixture.
- In a medium skillet, heat up olive oil. Sear each chicken breast, 2 to 3 minutes per side, until golden brown.
- Remove from skillet and place in 2qt baking dish. (see notes for searing and baking in cast iron skillet).
- In another small bowl, whisk honey, vinegar and both mustards.
- Add 1/4 cup of chicken stock to the pan and deglaze it, by scraping any baked-on bits from searing the chicken. You don't want to skip this step, as there is a lot of flavor in the pan.
- Add honey mustard sauce to the pan and whisk together. Pour the mixture over chicken.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for 5 more minutes.
- Check the internal temperature of each chicken breast. If it reads at least 165 degrees F, the chicken is done.
- Remove dish from oven and let it stand 10 minutes before serving.
If you want to use a cast iron skillet, sear the chicken and remove onto a plate. Deglaze the pan and add the sauce. Return chicken to pan and turn over in the sauce, to coat. Cover and bake per instructions above.