French Onion Roasted Chicken Recipe – combining two classic comfort foods into one incredibly indulgent and satisfying dish. Each piece is juicy and flavorful.
FRENCH ONION ROASTED CHICKEN
This French Onion Roasted Chicken is combining two classic comfort foods into one incredibly indulgent and satisfying dish. Served with mashed potatoes and roasted vegetables make this cozy food and instant family favorite. Melt in your mouth, packed with flavor, juicy chicken that will make your soul cozy, just like my Skillet Garlic Herb Chicken and Potatoes.
Growing up, on almost every Sunday, my Mom would make roasted chicken. The Best roasted chicken. It was absolutely incredible and the whole family always looked forward to it. I vividly remember her braising it in a large pot and then letting the dish finish cooking in the oven. Each time she opened the oven to check on the chicken and pour the juices collecting in the pot over each piece, the fragrant, rich smell of good dinner would fill the kitchen. It took me a few years to get this roasted chicken magic right. All because I tend to be an impatient cook. I love quick meals. But Sundays (weekends and holidays) are for slowing down and enjoying cooking.
How to make French Onion Chicken?
- Trim thighs from excess fat and season on each side. Braise in hot skillet skin down for about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Next, remove the chicken and cook down (almost caramelize) the onions. That’s when the rich flavor creates. That takes about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Next, add the chicken back into the dish, spoon the onions and juices over each piece and place the dish in the oven to roast. Check on it a few times, pouring juices from the bottom of the pot over the chicken.
- Add cornstarch and water mixture to the pan to thicken the sauce and your chicken is ready to be served. Each piece is juicy and flavorful.
What to serve with French Onion Chicken?
More Chicken Thigh Recipes:
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
French Onion Roasted Chicken Recipe
- 5 bone-in skin-on chicken thighs
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups sliced yellow onion
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 chicken bouillion
- 1/4 cup water + 1 Tablespoons cornstarch for thickening sauce
- In a large 4 qt. Dutch Oven, heat up oil and butter until butter is melted.
- Season chicken. Place skin down in pot. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes until golden. Flip and cook 2 to 3 minutes more. Remove chicken onto a plate.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Add more butter to pot. Add onions. Cook stirring often until onions are translucent, soft and golden brown. Add bouillion cube and water. Cook until cube dissolves.
- Return chicken to pot. Spoon onions and juice over each piece.
- Place whole pot in oven. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 175 degrees F.
- When done, add cornstarch and water mixture to pot and stir until the sauce thickens.
- Serve chicken drizzled with sauce.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by REVOL. All text, images, and opinions are 100% my own. Thank you for supporting brands that make this blog possible.