Best Ever Slow Cooker Beef Stew – chunky vegetables and tender beef make this stew a comfort food at it’s best! Easy prep and cooks in a slow cooker – my favorite way to make beef stew.
SLOW COOKER BEEF STEW
The shortest winter month is here but the cold weather is not going anywhere. My body is craving soul food. A big bowl of hot beef stew with chunks of carrots, potatoes, green beans, and beef served along a slice of bread is exactly what I need. After running errands all day, busy school day or simply on a lazy weekend – this Slow Cooker Beef Stew will make your soul and body happy.
Since it’s cooked in a slow cooker for 6 to 8 hours, you know the beef is tender and flavorful. The potatoes and carrots are soft and flavorful.
How to make Slow Cooker Beef Stew?
- Start by seasoning the meat with salt and pepper. Brown the stew meat in a skillet.
- Place in the slow cooker. Add carrots, potatoes, garlic.
- Whisk together beef stock and cornstarch. Pour over meat.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to slow cooker and cover with a lid.
- Cook on LOW for 6 hours or on HIGH for 4 hours.
- Add green beans in the last 20 minutes.
Slow Cooker Beef Stew Ingredients (your shopping list):
- beef stew meat
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- dried oregano
- bay leaf
- Russet or Yukon potatoes
- green beans
- tomato paste
- beef broth or stock
- Worcestershire sauce
Tips for the best Slow Cooker Beef Stew:
- cut the potatoes and carrots into the same size pieces, as the stew meat.
- for more flavor, replace water with more beef stock.
- add frozen green beans in the last 30 minutes, if you like them softer.
- for the best flavors, cook in on LOW setting for 8 hours.
How to thicken up beef stew?
To easily thicken up beef stew, mix cornstarch with water and add to the stew. Let it cook for 20 more minutes.
What is the best meat for beef stew?
Save yourself the trouble and got for already cut up stew meat in the butcher section of your store. If you have chuck, chuck shoulder or chuck roast, cut it into 2″ pieces.
More Easy Slow Cooker recipes:
For more delicious dinners made in a crock pot, feel free to browse our Slow Cooker Category.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
Chunky vegetables and tender beef make this stew a comfort food at it's best! Easy prep and cooks in a slow cooker - my favorite way to make beef stew.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 and 1/2 lbs beef stew meat
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 5 carrots cut into large chunks
- 4 Russet potatoes cut into large chunks
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1.5 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 cups beef broth or stock
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups water optional
- 1 cup frozen green beans optional
In a large skillet, heat up olive oil. Add stew meat, season with salt and pepper and brown on all sides.
Add carrots, potatoes, garlic to 5 to 7 quart slow cooker. Add meat.
In a measuring cup, whisk together 1 cup of beef stock and cornstarch. Add to slow cooker.
Add all of the remaining ingredients to slow cooker. Set on LOW and cook 6 to 8 hours OR set on HIGH and cook for 4 to 5 hours.
In the last 15 to 30 minutes of cooking, add frozen green beans.
This recipe was originally published on February 1st, 2017 and updated on June 7th, 2019.