Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken - one of the best and easiest crock pot meals you can make! Chicken thighs or breasts cooked in brown sugar teriyaki sauce and served over rice.
Sometimes the best meals are quick and easy. These days I definitely need quick and easy. Slow cooker comfort food to the rescue! This dish saves my busy, no wait, HECTIC days. I love my slow cooker and the fact that I can simply throw ingredients together and let them cook and be ready by dinner is fabulous! The comforting, drool-inducing smell that spreads through the house is a bonus. I highly recommend making a bottle of my Homemade Teriyaki Sauce so you can cut the prep time!
- chicken breast or thighs
- brown sugar or honey
- low-sodium soy sauce
- rice or apple cider vinegar
- fresh or ground ginger
- sweet onion
- black pepper
In a mixing bowl, whisk together the sauce ingredients.
- Arrange chicken in slow cooker. Pour sauce over chicken.
Cook on LOW for 6 hours or on HIGH for 4 hours.
When done, shred chicken with two forks.
In a small measuring cup, whisk cornstarch with cold water. Add to slow cooker and stir. Let cook for 10 minutes and stir again. Cook to make sauce.
I served this teriyaki chicken with steamed broccoli (you can get a stir fry veggie mix or chop fresh ones) and rice. If you want to learn how to make perfect, fluffy rice without the rice cooker. To make a spicy version, add sriracha while shredding the chicken. A garnish of chopped green onions was my favorite. A pop of color and fresh taste - so good!
More easy recipes like this:
For more easy recipes like this one, feel free to browse our Slow Cooker category.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts or mix of both
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon fresh chopped ginger OR 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ cup sweet onion chopped
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 Tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ cup cold water
- Place chicken in slow cooker.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together honey, soy sauce and vinegar. Add ginger, garlic, onion and pepper. Whisk well. Pour the mixture over chicken. Cover slow cooker. Cook on LOW for 6 hours or on HIGH for 4 hours.
- When done, DO NOT turn off the slow cooker. Shred chicken with two forks.
- In a small measuring cup, whisk cornstarch with cold water. Add to slow cooker and stir. Let cook for 10 minutes and stir again. The mixture should thicken.
- Serve over rice with a side of steamed vegetables.
This recipe was originally published on January 18th, 2016 and updated on May 29th, 2019.