How to Make Dried Herbs at Home – learn a super easy technique and stock up on your favorite dried herbs two ways: air dry and dry in a microwave.
DRIED HERBS AT HOME
I love fresh herbs and buy them often. But it’s also nice to have jars of dried herbs on hand. But I find myself often searching through the spice aisle in my grocery store to no avail. Especially when it comes to dried dill for some reason. I can never find it! So when I got my hands on a fresh bunch of dill, I knew I wanted to dry part of it to store in a spice jar or a cute little Weck jar. Use to make my delicious Creamy Dill Chicken Pasta or the super easy Garlic and Herb Roasted Chicken and Potatoes.
HOW TO DRY HERBS AT HOME?
- It starts with a nice bunch of fresh herbs. You need to wash them and dried them really well with a kitchen towel. This is very important as any moisture will make the mold take over your bunch and you do not want that!
- After you dry your herbs, tie them with a string.
- Then take a brown bag, make a hole in the bottom of it, pull the string the ties the herbs through the hole and nestle the herbs inside the bag. It’s okay if the ends are sticking out.
- Now find a dry place in your home to hang the herbs and air dry them. I hung them in our covered back porch.
- When your herbs are dry to the touch, remove them from the bag, cut off the ends and chop the herbs with a knife. Place in a spice jar or any little jar and store in a dry, dark place with the rest of your spices.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO AIR DRY HERBS?
It took about a week and a half of my bunch to dry completely and be ready to be stored in a jar.
Dill is one of those herbs (also marjoram, oregano, rosemary, thyme) that air-dries really well. But there are some herbs that have a high content of moisture and they might require a dehydrator to dry them (like basil, mint, chives).
HOW TO DRY HERBS IN THE MICROWAVE?
This is the fastest method that you can use to make dried herbs at home. Trim the ends of your herb bunches. Make sure the herbs are dry. Place them on a paper towel, place in a microwave and microwave on HIGH for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from microwave and check if they feel dry. If so, place in a jar in your spice drawer.