Easy Homemade Nutella - you won't believe how easy it is to make your own chocolate hazelnut spread at home! All you need is 7 ingredients and a blender or food processor.
A generous layer of homemade chocolate hazelnut spread on a warm bagel. Doesn't that sound like a good breakfast? It sure does to me. I've wanted to make Homemade Nutella since I made the peanut butter. Because once you try making your own nut butter, it's hard to stop! It is so easy! No more run-outs in the middle of the night! Oh wait, that's probably just me. 🙂
How to make Homemade Nutella?
Preheat oven and prepare a baking sheet. Place hazelnuts on the sheet and roast for 12 to 15 minutes.
Remove from the oven and let cool.
Gently rub the nuts with a kitchen towel until the skin comes off.
Place hazelnuts in a food processor and process until they start to liquefy.
Add powdered sugar and cocoa. Mix until well combined.
With the food processor running, drizzle in the oil and vanilla.
Add the salt and process for 5 seconds.
I added the chocolate chips are this point and process until it all comes together.
How to roast Hazelnuts?
As with the peanut butter, you need to roast the nuts before turning them into butter. It helps with de-skinning and releases oils from the nuts. Simply place the hazelnuts on a parchment paper or silicone mat lined baking sheet and pop them in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes. To easily get rid of the skin, place the roasted nuts on a clean kitchen towel and rub the nuts until the skin comes off. It's really easy.
How to make Smooth and Creamy Nutella?
To make sure your homemade Nutella is smooth and creamy, you will need a powerful blender or a food processor. Grinding nuts into butter takes a few minutes, so you need a machine that can handle that without getting overheated.
Tips for the Best Homemade Nutella:
- toast the nuts: that allows the nuts to release the oils which will help turn them into a creamy spread.
- melt the chocolate: for the best texture, use a good chocolate bar and melt it halfway (there should still be whole pieces of the chocolate).
- salt: it is known for enhancing the chocolate flavor.
How to store Homemade Nutella?
Once made, store this nut spread in a container with a lid. You do not have to refrigerate it. It will cause the spread to harden.
How long does it last?
You can keep this spread on your counter for up to 2 weeks.
More Homemade Spread Recipes:
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
- 8 oz. hazelnuts
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoon oil canola or coconut; I used melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup chopped chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate chips optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat. Place hazelnuts on the sheet. Roast for 12 to 15 minutes. Watch them after the 10th minute if they are not browning too fast.
- Remove from the oven and transfer onto a clean kitchen towel. Let cool until safe to the touch.
- When cooled, gently rub the nuts with the towel until the skin comes off.
- Place nuts in food processor and process until finely ground. Scrape the sides of the food processor bowl as needed.
- Process nuts until the start to liquify. It can take about 5 minutes. Stop the food processor as needed to scrape the sides of the bowl.
- Add powdered sugar and cocoa. Mix until well combined.
- With the food processor running, drizzle in the oil and vanilla. Process until smooth.
- Add the salt and process for 5 seconds.
- I added the chocolate chips are this point and processed until it all comes together. You may need to add more oil if the mixture clumps up.
- Scrape the spread into a clean jar. Store in refrigerator for up to 1 month.
- If using coconut oil, you may need to let the spread sit on the counter to soften before using.
This recipe was originally published on May 15th, 2013 and updated on October 1st, 2019.