Lemon Blueberry Coffee Cake - easy lemon blueberry cake with crumb topping. Perfect dessert for a lazy Sunday!
This cake is just a little bit of indulgence in the middle of the healthiest month of the year. It's the dessert for a lazy Sunday, along with a steaming hot cup of tea. That's what I have been doing.
The flu has taken over our household. The kiddos are almost over it but my Hubby and I are at the worst part of it. It's when the congestion in your sinuses makes you feel like your head is going to explode. I hate being sick and I am a very whiny patient.
Since baking always makes me feel better and I had this idea for an easy lemon blueberry coffee cake for a while now - I decided to put on the apron and pull out my mixing bowls to whip it up. And I am so glad I did!
I used my trusted crumb cake recipe and used my favorite blueberry pie filling from Lucky Leaf in place of the sliced apples. By the way, I have some fun news
I added lemon zest and lemon extract to the cake and topping layers because lemons and blueberries go together like peanut butter and jelly. It all baked up into one fantastic cake! I dusted the top with powdered sugar. It would also be fabulous topped with vanilla ice cream. I have to admit that had a piece while the cake was still slightly warm. I could wait and I love when the pie filling is ooey gooey and warm.
This cake is a great way to bring a little bit of Spring to your home. The fruit flavors are fantastic and the easy cake and topping layers will let you make it in no time. It's a no fuss cake yet perfect to serve for a brunch with girlfriends or family.
Lemon Blueberry Coffee Cake
for the cake:
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons of milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/4 cup + 2 teaspoons vegetable or canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 can blueberry pie filling I used Premium Blueberry Pie Filling from Lucky Leaf
for the topping:
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Grease and flour an 8" round or square baking pan. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
to make the topping:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sugar, salt and flour. Add melted butter and fluff with fork until mixtures creates crumbs. Set aside.
to make the cake:
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and lemon zest. In a large measuring cup, mix together milk, vanilla, lemon extract, oil and egg. Whisk until smooth.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon. Do not over mix. Few lumps in the batter are okay.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan.
- Spoon the pie filling over the cake layer.
- Sprinkle crumb topping over the filling.
- Bake the cake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the topping is golden brown.
- Let cool completely in the pan.
- Transfer onto a serving plate or stand. Slice and serve.
- Keep in a covered container for up to 4 days.