Instant Pot Kalua Pork aka Kalua Pig is a dish of tender pork with a smoky flavor. This 3-ingredient Hawaiian-inspired recipe is done in one hour right in your pressure cooker.
This Hawaiian-inspired dish is made with just 3 ingredients (plus water required for pressure cooking), in 1 hour. Traditional Kalua Pork cooks for about 16 hours in a fire pit lined with stones. Kalua means "cooked in an underground oven". If you want the luau flavors but not the long cooking time, the Instant Pot is the answer. You can make tender, smoky pork in 50 to 60 minutes. This delicious pork dish is fantastic served over rice and along with steamed or fried cabbage.
Ingredients (your shopping list):
- pork roast (about 3 to 4 lbs)
- liquid smoke
- Hawaiian sea salt or any coarse sea salt
- Start by cutting the pork into four big pieces. Season with sea salt.
- Heat up oil in the Instant Pot and brown each piece of pork on all sides.
- Remove onto a plate and add water and liquid smoke to the Instant Pot. Deglaze the pot by scrubbing all baked on bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Place pork back in the Instant Pot, close the lid and cook on HIGH pressure for 50 minutes.
- Once the timer is done, let the pressure cooker release the pressure naturally.
- Once the pressure pin is down, open the lid and shred the pork.
- Serve over rice with steamed or sauteed cabbage.
- the meat: I used pork roast just like for my pulled pork recipe; you can use pork shoulder/pork butt.
- the liquid smoke: use the best brand you can afford; this is the flavor for your dish.
- the salt: if you can, find Red Hawaiian Sea Salt for the closest to authentic flavor.
- the texture: if you like your pulled pork to have a bite, 50 minutes of cooking time is perfect. If you want it softer, mushier, completely falling apart, set timer to 60 minutes.
More Instant Pot pork recipes:
- Instant Pot Smothered Pork Chops
- Easy Instant Pot Pork Tenderloin
- Best Instant Pot Pulled Pork
- BBQ Instant Pot Pork Ribs
For more recipes like this one, feel free to browse our Instant Pot Category.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
Instant Pot Kalua Pork
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3-4 lbs pork roast
- 1 tablespoon Hawaiian sea salt
- 1 tablespoon hickory liquid smoke
- 1 cup water
- Cut the pork roast into four pieces.
- Season and rub with sea salt.
- Press "saute" setting on the Instant Pot and wait 1 minute. Add oil and let it heat up.
- Brown each pork piece on all sides in the Instant Pot. Remove onto a plate.
- Press "cancel/off" button. Add water to Instant Pot and scrape any cooked-on bits from the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon.
- Add liquid smoke and stir. Place pork back in the pressure cooker.
- Close the lid, set valve to "sealing" position (newer models do it on their own), press "manual" or "pressure cook" setting and set timer to 50 minutes. Make sure the Instant Pot is set to cook on HIGH pressure.
- The Instant Pot will start coming to pressure. Once the timer is done, press "cancel/off" button and let the Instant Pot release the pressure naturally. If you do a quick release, the meat will be tough.
- Once the pressure pin is down, carefully open the lid away from your face. Remove the pork onto a plate or shred with two forks right in the Instant Pot. Stir in with the liquid on the bottom of the pot.
- Serve pork with steamed or sauteed cabbage and rice.