Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup - healthy and easy soup with black beans, diced tomatoes, corn and chicken. Searing chicken rubbed with spice intensifies the flavor. Learn how to freeze this soup and also make it cheesy and creamy!
Just like this chicken tortilla soup, my Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup and Albondigas Soup are perfect for those under-the-weather days or when cold strikes.
One of my favorite dishes to make in the Instant Pot is definitely soup. Not only during the soup season (cold winter months) but any time of the year. When I want a filling soup with spice, I make this Chicken Tortilla Soup with black beans. It's easy and absolutely delicious!
This Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup is perfectly spiced and full of veggies and chicken. You can make it with boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs. You can also skip the meat and double the amount of the black bean or use them with red kidney beans. Another option for a meatless soup is to add lentils or quinoa.
- olive oil
- bell pepper
- chicken breast
- chicken broth
- black beans
- frozen whole kernel corn
- diced tomatoes
- tomato sauce
- taco seasoning
- Start by making sure the stainless steel pot is in your Instant Pot (to know why I always mention this step, check out my Instant Pot Guide for Beginners). Saute garlic and onion with olive oil on the saute setting.
- Mix spices in a small bowl and rub half of the mixture all over your chicken breast. Add chicken and sear on each side. Remove chicken to a plate (it won't be cooked through yet).
- Add water and scrape any bits from the bottom of the pot. Add remaining water and chicken broth to pot. Add remaining seasoning and stir. Place chicken in liquid.
- Add black beans and corn. Add diced tomatoes and tomato sauce.
- Place lid on your Instant Pot and set timer to 15 minutes. The Instant Pot will take 10 to 12 minutes to come to pressure. When the timer is done, wait a few minutes and switch the valve to venting position to release the pressure. Open the lid carefully away from your face.
- Remove the chicken from pot and shred it. Return to the soup and stir well. Serve with desired toppings.
Freezing and reheating:
Absolutely! I love cooking big batches of soup and freezing portions for easy lunches. To do so, cool the soup completely, then portion out to freezer-safe containers or ziploc bags. To heat up in the Instant Pot, add 1 cup of water to the insert, then the frozen soup. Set to cook for 15 minutes on HIGH pressure.
Can I use frozen chicken to make this soup?
Yes. If your chicken breast (or thighs) are still frozen, you will need to increase the cooking time to about 25 minutes. It depends on how thick your chicken is. Also, skip the searing step as frozen chicken does not sear well.
Can I make this soup creamy?
Yes! After the soup is done cooking, add 1.5 cups of shredded cheddar and 1 cup of half and half with 1 tablespoon of cornstarch. Stir until the soup is nice and creamy. You can even simmer it for a few minutes on the "saute" setting with pressure set to normal.
More Instant Pot soup recipes:
- Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Best Instant Pot Chili
- Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Soup
- Instant Pot Soup Recipes Roundup (all in one place)
To learn more about the Instant Pot, check out my Guide for Beginners. If you experienced the “burn” message while using your IP, check out my Instant Pot Burn Message post to learn how to fix the issue and prevent it in the first place.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 white onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves. finely chopped
- ½ green bell pepper chopped
- 1 to 1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1.5 cups black beans or 1 15oz can, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
- 15 oz can diced tomatoes with juice
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 pkg taco seasoning see note
- Make sure the stainless steel pot is in your Instant Pot (to know why I always mention this step, check out my Instant Pot Guide for Beginners). Press "saute" setting and wait 2 minutes. Add olive oil to pot. Add garlic, chopped onion, and pepper. Saute until the onion is almost translucent.
- Mix spices in a small bowl and rub half of the mixture all over your chicken breast. My chicken breast was large and thick so I cut it lengthwise in half to make two. Move the sauteed veggies with a wooden spoon to make space for the chicken. Add chicken and sear on each side for 2 minutes. Remove chicken to a plate (it won't be cooked through yet).
- Add 1 cup of water and scrape any bits from the bottom of the pot. Add remaining water and 2 cups of chicken broth to pot. Add remaining seasoning and stir. Place chicken in liquid.
- Add black beans and corn. Add diced tomatoes (with juice) and tomato sauce.
- Place lid on your Instant Pot, switch the valve to sealing position. Press manual setting and set timer to 15 minutes. Make sure the IP is set to cook on HIGH pressure. The Instant Pot will take 10 to 12 minutes to come to pressure. When the timer is done, wait a few minutes and switch the valve to venting position to release the pressure. Open the lid carefully away from your face.
- Remove the chicken from pot onto a plate. Use two forks to shred chicken. Return to the soup and stir well. Serve with shredded cheddar or Pepper Jack cheese, chopped cilantro or parsley, diced avocados, etc.
Made this for a close friend and their family during a hard time just recently and it was so easy to put together, cooked in no time, and tastes like it’s been cooking all day long! Of course I sampled it. Had to make sure I wasn’t sending anything I wouldn’t eat 🙂
Also the house smelled amazing so added bonus!
Great recipe! But, um, there aren't any tortillas in your chicken tortilla soup 🙂
Lisa Dabovich says
Looks delicious!!! Can I make the night before and eat as our dinner the next day?? Is it okay to leave in the instapot; put in refrigerator and then warm up in the instapot? I'm new to the IP world!!!
Hi Lisa! You can definitely make it a day before. Before you warm it up in the Instant Pot, let it sit at room temperature. You don't want to put super cold insert into your IP.
Pat Bolin says
Can you leave out tomato sauce
Very good! Did take some time to prepare, but well worth it!
Awesome! Thank you, Susan!
I will be breaking out the instant pot for this one!
Awesome! Thanks, Krista!
Looks so perfect! Definitely a must try! Get in my belly! This looks so good.
This tortilla soup looks so inviting! This is exactly what I need right now!
It's delicious! Thanks, Catalina!
Chrissie Baker says
The best recipe! The soup was delicious and better than any restaurant I’ve tried. My whole family loved it and it took little effort to prepare (so I love it even more).
That's fantastic! Thank you, Chrissie!
One of my favorite soups! Can't wait to try in my Instant Pot!
This looks SO easy and flavorful! Going to make this soon!
This chicken tortilla soup looks so good and love how it's made in the Instant Pot!!
Thank you, Lora!