Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup – fastest and easiest way to make a big pot of chicken noodle soup right in your electric pressure cooker! It’s the perfect comfort food that the whole family will love.
INSTANT POT CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP
The soup season is here! My favorite way to make a big pot of comforting, hot soup that’s loaded with veggies, meat and noodles or rice, is to add all of the ingredients to my Instant Pot and let it do its magic. This Chicken Noodle Soup is comforting and delicious and exactly what you need on a chilly day or when you are feeling under the weather.
Ingredients for Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup:
- wide egg noodles
- chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
- chicken stock and water
How to make chicken noodle soup in the Instant Pot?
- Start by heating up oil on the saute setting. Add onion and garlic and saute for a 1 minute. Add diced chicken and Italian seasoning and cook, stirring often, until almost done.
- Add onion, carrots and celery and stir well.
- Add remaining ingredients (liquid, noodles). Place lid on your Instant Pot and set the valve to “sealing” position. Cook on HIGH pressure for 6 minutes.
- Once done, turn off the Instant Pot, wait a few minutes and then switch the valve to venting.
What to Serve with Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup?
Can I use frozen chicken to make this soup?
If using frozen chicken, your cooking time needs to increase. That would turn the noodles to mush. Cook the chicken first for 10 minutes, then add veggies and noodles and cook for 5 minutes.
Can I use pre-cooked chicken in this recipe?
Yes! You can use already cooked chicken, shredded or cubed. Simply add chicken to sauteed garlic and onion and season with Italian seasoning. No need to cook it since it is done, so you are saving time here. This will make it flavorful. Follow the remaining steps to make soup.
Can I use gluten-free noodles to make this soup?
Yes, gluten-free noodles work too! They cook faster, so make sure that the chicken is cooked through before pressure cooking the soup. Set timer to 4 minutes.
Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup Variations:
- creamy soup: add 1 cup of half and half to cooked soup and stir.
- vegetable soup: use vegetable stock or broth and skip chicken. Add mushrooms instead. Pressure cook for 4 minutes.
- with rice: follow my Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Soup recipe.
- with dumplings: skip the noodles and add dumplings (homemade or cut up buttermilk biscuit dough) and cook for 7 minutes.
Why you should cook soups in your Instant Pot?
Cooking soup in Instant Pot pressure cooker not only makes for hands-off cooking, takes less time but also creates deeper and richer flavors. All you need to do is place all ingredients in the pot and let it cook. If using noodles, the cooking time is around 7 minutes; if using rice set timer to 4 minutes. Vegetable soups cook in just minutes!
More easy Instant Pot soup recipes:
- Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
- Instant Pot Potato Soup
- Instant Pot Soup Recipes Roundup (all in one place)
Check out my Instant Pot Guide for Beginners, filled with all the info you need to get started with your new appliance! Seeing BURN message on your IP? Read my Instant Pot Burn Message post to learn why and how to save your dish.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
The fastest and easiest way to make a big pot of chicken noodle soup right in your electric pressure cooker! It's the perfect comfort food that the whole family will love.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast cut into 1" cubes see note
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning or fresh poultry herb blend
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 2 celery ribs diced
- 1.5 cup wide egg noodles dry, not yet cooked
- 2 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1.5 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
On Instant Pot, press "saute" button. After 1 minute, add olive oil to IP insert. Wait 1 minute, then add onion and garlic. Saute, stirring often, for 1 minute. Add carrots and celery and saute for 2 minutes. Add diced chicken and Italian seasoning and cook, stirring often, until almost done.
Add remaining ingredients, making sure the noodles are just covered with liquid.
Cover the IP with lid and set the pressure valve to "sealing" position. Newer models do it on their own.
Press "manual" and set the timer to 6 minutes. Make sure your Instant Pot is set to high pressure. The pressure cooker will beep and start coming to pressure, which can take about 12 minutes.
When the cooking time is up, press the "cancel/off" button. Let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes (to let the foam from cooking noodles to fall), then quick release any remaining pressure by switching the valve to venting position.
Carefully open the lid, away from your face. Stir the soup. Let cool and serve. Adjust seasoning as needed.
- The noodles cook when the soup cooks. No need to cook them beforehand.
- You can use 2 boneless skinless chicken thighs instead of chicken breast.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary denpending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate.
This recipe was originally published in 2017 and updated on September 17th, 2019.