Instant Pot Potato Soup - creamy and flavorful potato soup with cheddar cheese and bacon! Pure comfort food you can make in no time right in your pressure cooker.
My Instant Pot soup collection is growing and today I am excited to share with you a new family favorite! This potato soup is creamy, flavorful and packed with veggies. It's perfect for lunch or light dinner. This is the best potato soup you will make in your Instant Pot because I start by sauteing onion, carrots with dried herbs to build the flavor. Otherwise, the soup can be quite bland. Don't skip this step if you want a flavorful, delicious soup! If you are short on time, just add everything to the Instant Pot and let it cook.
- olive oil
- 2 lbs russet potatoes
- 2 carrots or 8 baby carrots
- ½ sweet onion
- dried thyme or oregano
- vegetable stock
- salt and pepper
- 12oz can evaporated milk or 1.5 cups half and half
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- cheddar cheese
How to make Instant Pot Potato Soup?
- Start by heating up olive oil in the Instant Pot on saute setting.
- Add onion and saute for 2 minutes. Add carrots and stir in the dried herbs.
- Add potatoes, water, stock, salt and pepper. Close the lid, set valve to sealing and timer to 7 minutes.
- Once the Instant Pot is done, wait 2 minutes, then switch valve to venting.
- Carefully open the Instant Pot and stir in milk with cornstarch.
- If you want the soup very thick, remove 2 cups of the mixture and blend it with a blender until smooth. Stir into the soup in your Instant Pot.
- Add cheese and stir in until melted.
- Serve soup with more cheese, crispy bacon and parsley or green onions.
Leftovers and reheating:
You can store leftovers of this soup in a container with lid, in the fridge, for up to 3 days. It will thicken up as it cools, so you may need to add a little bit of vegetable stock while reheating.
More soup recipes:
- Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Soup
- Instant Pot Weight Loss Vegetable Soup
- Instant Pot Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Instant Pot Hamburger Soup
For more recipes like this, check out my Instant Pot Soup Recipes roundup.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
Instant Pot Potato Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 lbs russet potatoes peeled and chopped
- ½ sweet onion chopped
- 2 medium carrots or 8 baby carrots chopped
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme or oregano
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 ½ cups water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 12 ounce can evaporated milk see note
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 slices of bacon cooked to crispy
- Make sure the Instant Pot stainless steel insert is inside your cooker.
- Press "saute" setting and wait 2 minutes. Add olive oil and heat up.
- Add onion and saute for 2 minutes. Add carrots and dried thyme and stir well. Saute for 1 minute.
- Press "cancel/off" button. Add potatoes and stir well.
- Add water and vegetable stock. Stir well.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Close the lid, set valve to sealing position (the newer IP models do it on their own). Press "manual" or "pressure cook" button and set the timer to 7 minutes. The IP will beep shortly and it will start to come to pressure. This can take 8 to 10 minutes.
- Once the timer is done, press the "cancel/off" button. Wait for 2 minutes, then flip the valve to venting position to release the pressure.
- Carefully open the lid away from your face. Whisk evaporated milk with cornstarch in a glass measuring cup and add to the soup. Stir in. Let the soup sit for 5 minutes, it will thicken.
- Add cheddar cheese and stir in to melt.
- Serve soup with more cheddar, crispy bacon and chopped fresh parsley or green onions.
- You can use 1.5 cups of half and half in place of the evaporated milk.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate. Always use calorie counter you are familiar with.