Instant Pot Hamburger Soup - hearty soup with ground meat, veggies, beef stock and crushed tomatoes. Add potatoes or noodles to make it even more filling.
The soup season is here and what better way to make a big pot of hearty and filling soup than in the Instant Pot! This Hamburger Soup is packed with ground beef, veggies, stock and crushed tomatoes. Saute the seasoning with veggies to activate and add flavor to the soup. You can add potatoes, rice or macaroni to make it even more filling!
Ingredients (your shopping list):
- 1 lb 80% lean ground beef
- olive oil
- green bell pepper
- Italian seasoning
- ground paprika
- Bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- whole kernel corn
- tomato sauce
- crushed tomatoes
- beef stock
Step by step instructions
This Hamburger Soup comes together quite quickly. Saute the veggies with seasoning, brown the meat, add liquids and more veggies and let the pressure cooker do it's work.
Step 1: veggies and meat
Saute garlic, onion and bell pepper in olive oil on "saute" setting. Add seasoning and stir in. This activates the dry herbs and makes the soup flavorful. Add meat and cook until done.
Step 2: more veggies and liquids
Add beef stock, corn, carrots, celery, tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes and Bay leaf.
Step 3: Pressure cook the soup
Close the lid, set valve to sealing and set timer to 7 minutes. Once done, let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes, then quickly release any remaining pressure.
- use at least 80% lean ground beef; you won't have to drain the grease. You can also use ground turkey, which is known for very low fat content. If you forgot to thaw out your beef, follow my Instant Pot Taco Meat recipe.
- saute seasoning with garlic, onion and pepper. This helps activate the dry herbs. If you just add them to the liquid, they get lost and the soup is not very flavorful.
- use veggies you have on hand (I used carrots, celery and corn, but potatoes, green beans, etc. work great too).
- the meat: use any ground meat you like; turkey meat is fantastic because you don't have to drain any grease.
- cheesy: stir in 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese once the soup is done.
- frozen veggies: use a bag of frozen carrots, peas, green beans, etc.
- pasta: add macaroni pasta to the soup before pressure cooking.
This soup is perfect made ahead, cooled completely and divided into freezer safe containers. Keep in the freezer for up to 3 months. To thaw, place in the fridge for a few hours.
You can reheat it easily in the Instant Pot, while still frozen. Pour 1 cup of water to the Instant Pot and place frozen soup on top. Set timer to 5 minutes.
More Instant Pot soup recipes:
- The Best Beef Chili
- Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
- Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Soup
- Instant Pot Ham and Bean Soup
For more pressure cooking recipes, feel free to browse our Instant Pot category.
Check out my Instant Pot Guide for Beginners, filled with all the info you need to get started with your new appliance! Seeing BURN message on your IP? Read my Instant Pot Burn Message post to learn why and how to save your dish.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
Instant Pot Hamburger Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef see note
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 small green bell pepper chopped
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 medium carrots chopped
- 2 celery ribs chopped
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1.5 cups crushed tomatoes
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 cups beef stock low-sodium recommended
- 3 cups water
- Make sure the stainless steel insert is in your Instant Pot. Press the "saute" setting and wait until the display shows HOT.
- Add olive oil. Swirl to coat the bottom of the pot.
- Add onion, pepper and garlic. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add Italian seasoning and paprika. Stir in well and cook for 1 minute.
- Add ground beef and cook breaking it apart with a wooden spoon. If you are using fatty beef, you may need to drain the grease. The best way to do this is to push the beef onto one side in the pot and scoop out the grease with a ladle.
- Add salt and pepper and stir in.
- Press "cancel/off" button.
- Add 1 cup of beef stock and deglaze the bottom of the pot, by scraping any cooked on bits with a wooden spoon.
- Add remaining beef stock and water.
- Add corn, celery and carrots. Stir in.
- Add tomato sauce and crushed tomatoes. Place the Bay leaf on top. Do not stir.
- Close the lid and set valve to sealing position (the newer IP models do it on their own).
- Press the "manual" or "pressure cook" setting and make sure the Instant Pot is set to cook on HIGH pressure.
- Set timer to 7 minutes.
- The Instant Pot will beep and start coming to pressure. This can take 12 to 15 minutes. Remember, there is a lot of food in the Instant Pot.
- Once the timer is done, press "cancel/off" button and wait 5 minutes. Then switch the valve to "venting" position to release any remaining pressure.
- Carefully open the lid away from your face. The soup will be bubbling.
- Stir in and let the soup sit for 10 minutes to cool.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate.
- use at least 80% lean ground beef; you won't have to drain the grease. You can also use ground turkey, that is known for very low fat content.