Instant Pot Taco Meat made from frozen ground beef or turkey and with seasoning packet or homemade taco seasoning. Use it for tacos, enchiladas, taco salad, wraps or turn into a pasta dish.
INSTANT POT TACO MEAT
As with many Instant Pot recipes, this one is a game-changer. You can easily make taco meat with ground beef or turkey without having to defrost the meat. Just place a frozen block in the Instant Pot and let it cook. You can use it right away to make pretty much any Mexican dish calling for ground beef or cool and freeze for later. You can easily double the recipe, cooking time stays the same.
Instant Pot Taco Meat Ingredients (your shopping list):
- ground meat (beef or turkey)
- taco seasoning (homemade or packet)
How to make Instant Pot Taco Meat with frozen ground meat?
This recipe could not be easier. Just place the frozen block of meat in the Instant Pot and cook. Drain the liquid, add seasoning and saute for a few minutes.
Step 1: cook the meat
Add the water to your Instant Pot insert and place the trivet inside. Place frozen block of ground meat on the trivet. Close the lid and set timer to 25 minutes.
Step 2: add seasoning
Once the timer is up, remove trivet with meat from the Instant Pot. Drain the liquid from the pot. Add the meat back in and break apart with a wooden spoon. Saute with seasoning (you can add garlic, onion, peppers too) and water. Stir in well.
Step 3: use or freeze
Use the meat immediately in a dish or cool completely, place in a freezer-safe bag and freeze for up to 4 months.
Tips for the best Instant Pot Taco Meat:
- use the trivet to keep the meat from cooking in water and also easily lift it out of the pot to drain the liquid
- if your meat is not cooked all the way (that happens if the meat is frozen in thick blocks), that is okay. You will finish cooking it before adding the seasoning.
- add seasoning after cooking to prevent diluted flavor
- once the liquid is drained, add garlic, onion and pepper and saute until softened; then add the meat and seasoning
How to use the Instant Pot Taco Meat?
- use it immediately to make ground beef tacos
- serve in lettuce wraps for low-carb tacos
- use to make ground beef enchiladas or burritos
- use to make soups
- make any casserole that calls for ground meat
How to reheat Taco Meat in the Instant Pot?
Press the “saute” setting and add the meat to the Instant Pot. Add 1/2 cup of water and mix. Cook until hot.
More Easy Instant Pot Recipes:
- Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
- Instant Pot Black Beans
- Instant Pot Hard-Boiled Eggs
- Instant Pot Refried Beans
- Instant Pot Rice
- Instant Pot Quinoa
For more recipes using the digital pressure cooker, feel free to browse our Instant Pot Category.
Also, check out my Instant Pot Guide for Beginners, filled with all the info you need to get started with your new appliance!
Seeing BURN message on your IP? Read my Instant Pot Burn Message post to learn why and how to save your dish.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
Instant Pot Taco Meat made from frozen ground beef or turkey and a seasoning packet or homemade taco seasoning. Use it for tacos, enchiladas, taco salad, wraps or turn into a pasta dish.
- 1 lb frozen ground beef or turkey
- 1 cup water divided
- 1 oz packet taco seasoning or 3 tablespoons homemade taco seasoning
- Make sure the stainless steel insert is in your Instant Pot. Place trivet inside.
- Pour 1/2 cup of water into the pot.
- Place a frozen block of meat on the trivet. Close the lid. Set the valve to "sealing" position. The newer Instant Pot models do it on their own.
- Press "manual" or "pressure cook" setting and set timer to 25 minutes. Make sure the Instant Pot is set to cook on HIGH pressure.
- The Instant Pot will beep and it will start coming to pressure. It took 6 minutes for me.
- Once the timer is done, press "cancel/off". Let the Instant Pot release the pressure naturally. It took 9 minutes for me. If it takes longer than 10 minutes, switch the valve to "venting" position to release any remaining pressure.
- Carefully open the lid away from your face. Lift out the trivet with meat and set on a plate.
- Drain the liquid from the pot.
- Press the "saute" setting. If desired, add olive oil, garlic, chopped onion and bell pepper and saute until soft.
- Add meat back to the pot and break apart with a wooden spoon.
- Add seasoning and stir in well. Wait 1 minute. Add water and stir in. Once the meat is hot, press "cancel/off" button.
- Use the meat immediately or cool completely and place in a freezer-safe bag.
- Please, note that the time the Instant Pot will take to come to pressure can vary. For me, it took 6 minutes.
- You can easily double the amount of beef and water to make a larger batch. The cooking time stays the same.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate.