Make this Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli for a quick and easy dinner any day of the week. The beef is tender and simmered in a delicious Asian sauce.
If you have a pressure cooker and need a recipe that will completely sell you on the magic of this device, this Beef and Broccoli is just that. It’s quick and easy, has minimal prep and you don’t need to stand by the stove to watch it. The pressure cooking turns beef into a tender meat that melts in your mouth. I steam the broccoli in a microwave (it only takes 2 minutes) and serve everything over rice. It’s a simple meal yet packed with flavors.
- beef steak (skirt, flank, chuck roast or charcoal steak)
- beef stock
- soy sauce
- rice vinegar
- brown sugar
- olive oil
How to make beef and broccoli in the Instant Pot?
- Slice the steak into thin strips. Season with salt and pepper
- Heat up olive oil in the Instant Pot, on saute setting.
- Add half of the beef strips and cook on both sides, just until browned.
- Remove beef onto a plate and set aside.
- Add more oil to the Instant Pot and saute onion until almost translucent.
- Whisk sauce ingredients in a small bowl and add to the IP. Deglaze the bottom by scraping it with a wooden spoon.
- Add beef back into the pot. Close the lid, press the “manual” setting and set the timer to 10 minutes.
- When the cooking cycle is done, press “cancel/off” and let the IP release the pressure naturally for about 5 minutes. Then switch the valve to venting position.
- Open the lid and stir everything. Mix cornstarch and water and add to the beef mixture. Stir until thickens. You can saute it for 2 minutes.
- Stir in steamed broccoli.
What beef is best for this dish?
The most popular cut of meat for Beef and Broccoli is chuck roast. You can use flank or skirt steak. If you can find charcoal steak, it’s also wonderful here. That is what I used.
How to cut the beef?
You can ask the butcher to slice the meat for you but it’s actually quite simple to do. Lay the steak out on a cutting board, horizontally towards you. Slice against the grain into about 1/4″ strips. Some can be long, so cut them in half.
How to store leftovers?
Any leftovers should be stored in a container with lid, in a fridge, for up to 4 days. Reheat in the microwave or in a skillet. If the sauce thickens too much, add a little bit of water.
Can I cook the broccoli in the same time?
I do not recommend adding the broccoli. It will be overcooked. It only takes 1 minute to steam it in the Instant Pot. I recommend steaming it in a pot on the stove or in the microwave. Follow my tutorial for Steaming Broccoli for all the steps.
More Instant Pot recipes:
- Instant Pot Hamburger Soup
- Instant Pot Pork Tenderloin
- Instant Pot Pot Roast
- Instant Pot French Dip
- Instant Pot Chicken and Rice
- Instant Pot Carnitas
For more recipes like this one, feel free to browse our Instant Pot category.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
Make this Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli for a quick and easy dinner any day of the week. The beef is tender and simmered in a delicious Asian sauce. Serve it over rice or quinoa.
- 1.5 lbs beef steak chuck roast, skirt, flank or charcoal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 3 cups broccoli florets see note
- 3/4 cup beef stock
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1.5 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
Slice the steak into thin strips, against the grain. Season them with salt and pepper.
Make sure the stainless steel insert is in your Instant Pot. Press "saute" setting. When the display shows HOT, add one tablespoon of olive oil.
Add half of the meat to the Instant Pot and cook on both sides just until browned. Do not cook all the way through. Repeat with another half of meat.
Remove onto a plate and set aside.
Add more oil to the IP and add onion. Saute for 3 to 4 minutes, or until almost translucent.
In a small bowl, whisk together sauce ingredients (except cornstarch and water). Add to onion and deglaze the bottom of the pot, by scraping it with a wooden spoon. This will prevent the burn message and ensure that all of the flavor is in the dish.
Add beef back into the pot and stir in.
Close the lid and set valve to "sealing" position. Make sure the IP is set to cook on HIGH pressure.
Press "manual" setting and set timer to 11 minutes. The Instant Pot will beep and start coming to pressure.
Once it build the pressure, the countdown will start which you can see on the display.
In the meantime, place broccoli florets in a microwave-safe bowl and add 1/2 cup of water. Microwave for 2 minutes. It should be vibrant green and tender.
When the cooking cycle is done, press "cancel/off" button and let the IP release the pressure naturally for at least 5 minutes. Then switch the valve to venting position to release any remaining pressure.
Carefully open the lid away from your face. Stir everything.
Mix cornstarch with water and add to meat mixture. Stir until thickened. You can saute it for 2 minutes.
Stir in broccoli.
Serve over rice.
- You can use frozen or fresh broccoli florets for this recipe.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate. Always use calorie counter you are familiar with.