These Instant Pot French Dip Sandwiches are one of the best dinners you will make in your pressure cooker! The beef is ultra-tender and pairs perfectly with Provolone cheese on a toasted bun.
My Instant Pot did it again! If there is one recipe that will convince you that this small appliance is worth buying, it’s this right here: French Dip Sandwiches. This is hands down my favorite beef recipe I’ve made in my pressure cooker to date. If you ever had this dish, you know that the meat has to be tender and melt in your mouth. For that you need to cook is low and slow. You can use a slow cooker and cook it for 8 to 10 hours but if you have the Instant Pot, it will be done in 60 minutes! My combination of beef broth, soy sauce, and Worcestershire sauce makes the au jus and the meat itself incredibly flavorful. It’s absolutely delicious!
Ingredients needed (your shopping list):
- chuck roast
- olive oil
- soy sauce
- Worcestershire sauce
- brown sugar
- beef broth
- deli rolls or hoagie rolls
- Provolone cheese
- garlic powder
How to make French Dip Sandwiches in the Instant Pot?
- Heat up oil in the Instant Pot on saute setting.
- Add beef and brown on both sides for 2 minutes. Remove onto a plate and set aside.
- Add sliced onion and garlic. Saute for 3 to 4 minutes. It should be very fragrant. The moisture from onion should help to deglaze the bottom of the Instant Pot. Scrape any cooked-on bits with a wooden spoon. This will prevent the burn message and it will ensure that the flavor is in the dish.
- Add liquids and meat back into the IP.
- Close the lid, press manual setting and set timer to 60 minutes.
- When the cooking time is done, let the Instant Pot release the pressure naturally (see recipe box below for more info).
- Remove the beef from the pot and shred on a plate. You can strain the liquid leftover in the pot to serve as au jus.
- Melt butter and stir in garlic powder. Brush rolls and toast in the oven for 4 minutes.
- Top with beef and cheese and toast for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- Serve right away with the au jus (liquid from the dish that is left in the Instant Pot).
Can I make it ahead of time?
You can make this dish and refrigerate it for up to 4 days. When ready to serve, toast the rolls, top with beef and cheese and toast to melt. Any leftovers should be stored in a container with lid, in the fridge.
Can I make this in a slow cooker?
Yes! If you want to make this in a crockpot, brown the meat in a skillet, then transfer everything into a slow cooker. Cook it for 7 to 8 hours on HIGH or 9 to 10 hours on LOW.
More easy recipes:
- Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli
- Instant Pot Chicken and Rice
- Instant Pot Pulled Pork
- Instant Pot Beef Stew
- Instant Pot Kalua Pork
- Instant Pot Carnitas
For more recipes using the digital pressure cooker, feel free to browse our Instant Pot Category. Also, check out my Instant Pot Guide for Beginners, filled with all the info you need to get started with your new appliance! Seeing BURN message on your IP? Read my Instant Pot Burn Message post to learn why and how to save your dish.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
Instant Pot French Dip Sandwiches
- 3 lb chuck roast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3.5 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 6 deli or hoagie rolls
- 12 slices of Provolone cheese
- Make sure the stainless steel insert is in your Instant Pot.
- Press saute setting. When the display shows HOT, add oil and heat up.
- Season meat on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Brown beef in the Instant Pot, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Remove meat onto a plate and set aside.
- Add onion to the Instant Pot. Saute for 1 minute. Add garlic and saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
- It should be very fragrant. The moisture from onion should help to deglaze the bottom of the Instant Pot. Scrape any cooked-on bits with a wooden spoon. This will prevent the burn message and it will ensure that the flavor is in the dish.
- Whisk beef broth, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce and soy sauce and add to the pot.
- Place meat in the liquid.
- Close the lid and set the valve to sealing position (newer IP models do it on their own).
- Make sure the Instant Pot is set to cook on HIGH pressure. Press "manual" setting and set timer to 60 minutes.
- Once the cooking cycle is done, press "cancel/off" and let the Instant Pot release the pressure naturally. That means do not touch the pressure valve. The pressure pin will drop once the pressure is out. That took 18 minutes for me.
- Carefully open the lid away from your face.
- Remove the meat onto a plate and shred with two forks. It should be falling apart tender.
- You can strain the liquid (called au jus) that is left in the pot to serve clear.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- To serve, slice the rolls open. Melt butter and mix with garlic powder. Spread on each roll.
- Toast in the oven for 4 minutes.
- Top one half of each roll with meat and top with two slices of cheese. Toast until the cheese is melted.
- Serve with au jus in ramekins.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate. Always use calorie counter you are familiar with.
- You can strain the au jus before serving.