Chicken Francese – pan-fried chicken with buttery lemon sauce. This fancy dish is quite easy to make at home!
I recreated one of the fancier restaurant dishes in my own kitchen. It’s as close to the authentic Chicken Francese (aka French Chicken), yet still incredibly easy to make at home. This dish features flour and egg coated chicken, fried in the pan and serve with lemon butter sauce. It’s flavorful, tangy and delicious! It can be served with pasta, potatoes or rice.
- 2 chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- chicken stock
- white wine (optional)
- Start by cutting the chicken breasts in half to make 4 cutlets.
- Dredge each cutlet in flour, then in egg and milk mixture.
- Fry in oil and butter combo until done and golden brown. Set aside to make the sauce.
- Wipe the pan, add more butter and saute chopped shallot.
- Add lemon juice and lemon slices. Simmer for a few minutes.
- Add chicken stock and cornstarch mix and simmer until the sauce thickens.
- Place chicken back in the pan and simmer for 2 minutes to heat it up.
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Perfect Fluffy Rice
- Easy Mashed Cauliflower (for low-carb option)
- spaghetti noodles
- use gluten-free flour in place of all-purpose flour; the sauce is made with cornstarch so it’s already GF.
- skip the wine for a non-alcoholic version
- add heavy cream to make the sauce even richer in taste
More easy chicken skillet dinners:
- Garlic and Herb Roasted Chicken and Potatoes
- Baked Honey Mustard Chicken
- Honey Lemon Chicken
- Creamy Mushroom Garlic Chicken
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
Pan-fried chicken with buttery lemon sauce. This fancy dish is quite easy to make at home! Serve it with mashed potatoes, fluffy rice, noodles (spaghetti or fettuccine) or mashed cauliflower for a low-carb option.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 shallot chopped
- 4 lemon slices
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup white wine optional
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Cut each chicken breast lengthwise, to make 4 cutlets.
- Season each cutlet with salt and pepper.
- Place flour in a shallow dish. Whisk egg and milk in another shallow dish.
- Dip each chicken cutlet in flour first, then in egg mixture.
- Heat up oil and butter in a pan.
- Fry each cutlet until golden brown, about 4 minutes on each side. Place on plate and set aside.
- Wipe the pan with paper towel.
- Add butter to pan and let melt.
- Add shallot and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add lemon slices and let caramelize. Remove them onto a plate.
- Add white wine, if using, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Mix cornstarch and chicken stock and pour the mixture into the pan. Simmer until the sauce thickens.
- Place chicken back in the pan with sauce and let everything heat up.
- Serve chicken with sauce and lemon slices, over potatoes, rice or pasta.
To make the sauce creamy, add 1/4 cup of heavy cream while simmering.