Apple Cider Pancakes - sweet and fluffy pancakes made with apple cider and topped with cinnamon sugar apples! Perfect fall weekend breakfast!
Fall weekend breakfast is quickly becoming my favorite. The summer version is quick as in grab a fruit or a muffin and out the door because the weather is gorgeous. The fall breakfast makes me want to use seasonal flavors, like cinnamon and nutmeg and add season fruits, like apples. It's time to sit down and enjoy every bite.
I made these pancakes few weeks ago and didn't really plan on sharing about them but they look crazy delicious and just screamed fall to me. A quick photo shoot later, I gave my hubby his plate back so he could dive in.
My family loves pancakes and waffles on Sundays and everyone seems to have their favorite flavors and toppings figured out. I even have a blogger friends who wrote a whole book about pancakes (sweet, savory and healthy!) and it's one of the most used cookbooks in our house. My kids love to get inspiration from it. I adapted Karly's basic recipe and added shredded apple and apple cider, which I am currently obsessed with. I am waiting for the super cool evening to enjoy a tall mug of hot apple cider.
If you want to enjoy the seasonal flavors and have apples on hand, I highly recommend whipping up a batch of these fluffy pancakes. You won't regret it!
More breakfast recipes:
Apple cider pancakes
!for the pancakes:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 and ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup apple cider NOT apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 4 Tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup shredded apples
- 2 to 3 apples I used gala, washed, peeled, cored and chopped into large chunks
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Heat a pancake pan or a large griddle over medium heat.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add shredded apples and stir to coat with flour mixture. Set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients: apple cider, buttermilk, eggs, oil and vanilla.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon, Do not overmix. Batter should be lumpy.
- Using a ¼ cup scoops (or an ice cream scoop), pour batter on a hot griddle. Cook pancakes on the first side, until you see air bubbles appearing around the edge and toward the center. Flip and cook about 2 more minutes.
- Place pancakes on a large plate and cover with aluminum foil each time you add to the stack to keep them warm.
- Melt butter in a large skillet.
- Add apple chunks. Cook stirring often, until apples are soft but not mushy.
- Add brown sugar and cinnamon and cook until sugar melts into a syrup.
- Remove from the heat.
- Top pancakes with topping and serve.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet or #crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out!
Caramel Apple Shortcakes