My Best French Toast recipe is made easily from scratch, with basic ingredients. Sprinkle each slice with sugar to create a caramelized topping. Use cast iron pan or griddle for the best crispy texture!
I am so excited to share this recipe with you today! My Best French Toast is simple yet absolutely incredible. Perfect for lazy weekends, Spring brunch, special occasions like birthdays or anniversaries. I've made a lot of French toasts and finally have my go-to recipe. What's the secret? First of all, you need good bread. Thick and dense enough (not sandwich bread for PB&J's). Second, I sprinkle a little bit of sugar on one side of each toast just before frying it. It creates a caramelized topping. Just something a little extra! I hope you enjoy it!
- bread: I used brioche, but any thick-sliced bread works
- half and half or milk
- vanilla extract
- granulated sugar
How to make the best French toast from scratch?
- Preheat your griddle. I use a flat cast iron skillet.
- Mix all ingredients in a shallow dish.
- Dip each bread slice in the mixture.
- Melt butter in skillet.
- Place bread slices in skillet. Sprinkle sugar on top of a slice, just before flipping.
- Flip and fry on the other side.
How to serve French toast?
You can go with classic maple syrup or dust it with powdered sugar. Fresh berries or fruit syrups make for a delicious topping. Whipped cream is also recommended!
How to keep French toast warm?
Preheat your oven to 250 degrees F. Keep ready fried slices of bread on a baking sheet in the oven, until you are ready to serve.
What if my French toast is soggy?
Most likely, your bread slices are too thin or you soaked the bread in milk mixture for too long. I recommend at least 3/4" thick bread slices. Do not use regular sandwich bread. I like brioche because it's thick, more dense and sweet. When dipping, do not let it sit in the milk mixture.
More breakfast recipes:
For more recipes like this one, feel free to browse our Breakfast category.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment!
Best French Toast
- ¾ cup milk
- 3 large eggs
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 12 bread slices see note
- If you want to keep the fried French toast warm, preheat the oven to 250° F. Prep a sheet pan.
- In a shallow dish (pasta bowl works great), whisk milk, eggs, salt, sugar, and vanilla. Whisk until smooth.
- Preheat griddle. I use a cast iron skillet because it distributes the heat evenly and creates a perfect texture.
- Melt a little bit of butter in skillet.
- Dip each bread slice on each side, do not let it sit in the mixture.
- Place dipped slice in a skillet and fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Just before flipping, sprinkle the un-fried side with about ¼ teaspoon of granulated sugar.
- Flip the slice and fry on the other side.
- Place fried slices on the prepared sheet pan and keep warm in the oven or serve right away.
- Serve French toast with maple syrup, powdered sugar, fresh fruit, fruit sauce, or whipped cream.
- I used brioche, but any thick-sliced bread works. Do not use regular sandwich bread. It is too thin and your French toast will be soggy.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate. Always use a calorie counter you are familiar with.