Slow Cooker Baked Beans – comfort food classic made easy in the slow cooker with just a few ingredients! Use a leftover ham bone or bacon. This recipe is a family favorite!
I can now officially say that I used every last bit of our Christmas ham. We enjoyed a hefty part of it for our holiday dinner, the leftovers got chopped and mixed in to make this delicious chowder and I even froze some for a breakfast casserole this weekend. The ham bone had a lot of meat on it and I knew I would use it to make something fantastic. What better dish than baked beans! In a slow cooker, because they are the best cooked slow.
If you are looking for a real comfort food to warm up your soul – these baked beans are it!
If you don’t have a ham bone, no worries! You can use bacon slices (the thick cut would be great!) or leftover pork roast chunks would work great too! I haven’t tried it with a raw meat so I can’t say how would that affect the final dish. You need enough liquid for the beans to soak up but not too much because we are not making a soup here.
For this recipe I used one pound of dry great northern beans that were soaked. You can do that two ways (most packages have the instructions on them): overnight soak or quick soak. I have used both methods and had great results each time. To rapid soak the beans, simply place them in a large pot with enough water. Bring to boil and let cook for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat and cover the pot. Let sit for 1 hr. Drain the beans and use in this recipe.
The result: soft, rich beans in sweet and tangy sauce with chunks of meat or bacon. Pure comfort food!
- 1 lb dry great northern or navy beans
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup BBQ sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2.5 cups water
- 1 slices meaty ham bone OR 4 thick cut of bacon chopped
- Soak beans according to package directions.
- In a slow cooker, place beans, chopped onion, brown sugar, molasses, tomato sauce, ketchup, BBQ sauce, salt and pepper. Stir well. Add water and stir again.
- Add ham bone or bacon and stir.
- Set slow cooker on low and cook for 6 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- When done, stir the mixture and let sit for 20 to 30 minutes with lid slightly open.
- To freeze, cool beans completely, then place in Ziploc bags.
The prep time does not include soaking the beans.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out!