Ham Potato and Corn Chowder - thick and creamy chowder with leftover ham, potatoes and corn. Lightened up with milk instead of cream and made in 20 minutes!
My favorite dish for leftover ham that takes only 20 minutes to make and is one of our favorite comfort foods. This chowder is thick and creamy and absolutely delicious! After cooking the big holiday dinner, I want to put the leftovers to use and make something quick yet still satisfying.
We often have soup for lunch, especially during the cold months. I also love to serve it for dinner by really loading it with veggies and serving my cheesy garlic bread on the side. Nothing beats a bowl full of hot, thick chowder with chunks of potatoes and ham. You can use fresh, diced veggies or a frozen mix. No leftover ham? No problem! Use leftover rotisserie chicken or turkey. Or skip the meat all together for a veggie only soup!
Many recipes use flour added to sauteed veggies to create a thickener for the soup. Quite often you can end up with lumps of flour in the soup. Over the years, I learned to use cornstarch (it's much easier to use and creates smooth thick soups and sauces) mixed with the last liquid added to the dish. It is a fool-proof method that I have been using for pasta sauces, gravies and thick soups.
Instead of making yet another ham and cheese sandwich, make this hearty, loaded soup with the leftover chunks of ham. It will quickly become a family favorite!
Ham Potato and Corn Chowder Recipe
- 1 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 2 potatoes (russet, yellow or golden - I used golden), peeled and diced
- 1 cups whole kernel corn
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1.5 cups leftover ham diced
- 2 cups milk (whole, skim or 2% - I used 2%)
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large stockpot, heat up olive oil and butter on medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add carrots and potatoes. Stir together. Add stock and ham. Cook for 10 minutes on medium heat.
- In a large measuring cup or medium mixing bowl, whisk together milk and cornstarch.
- Add to veggies and stir in well. Add seasoning, stir together.
- Cook until potatoes are cooked and chowder thickens, about 10 more minutes.
- Refrigerate leftovers for up to 3 days.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out!