Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Pork Stew – this comforting stew is perfect for chilly days and it takes only 10 minutes of prep!
There is snow in the forecast for this week and yesterday we woke up to frigid temperatures. Needless to say, I am not ready for winter. I don’t like cold and the snow covered world looks great through the window when I can be comfy in our warm house.
This weather definitely makes us crave comfort foods and my slow cooker is working over-time. I love it when all it takes but 10 minutes of prep in the morning and the comforting, yummy soup cooks by itself until dinner time.
My girls have their dance classes on Tuesday and now that the days are shorter and colder, we come home late and after dark. It is so nice to come home to the welcoming smell of dinner cooking in the slow cooker. I made this pork stew with sweet potatoes last week and it was just the perfect dinner to come home to.
I love pairing sweet potatoes with pork. They both just complement each other so well. In this recipe, I used a medium pork roast that was quickly braised just before I placed it with veggies in the crockpot. Then set everything for 6 hours on low setting and let it cook to perfection.
In this soup, I used baby carrots because all you need to do is chop them and throw them in and they are sweeter than regular carrots and go well with the sweet potatoes and pork. It’s a shortcut and a fitting ingredient. You can use apple cider or apple juice in this recipe as well. Just be aware that it will make this stew sweet which not everyone might like, since the potatoes and carrots are already adding sweetness. If not using the apple cider, use water or stock.
This chunky and very tasty stew will easily become your favorite go-to slow cooker soup!
Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Pork Stew
- 2 celery ribs , washed and diced
- 1 cup diced carrots (I used baby carrots)
- 3 medium sweet potatoes , peeled and diced
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 medium pork roast
- 1 can red beans , drained
- 1 cup apple cider or apple juice (optional)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Place diced vegetables in the slow cooker.
- Heat up a tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet.
- Brown the pork roast on all sides in the skillet.
- Place the roast on top of the vegetables.
- Add water, beans, apple cider (if using) and chicken stock.
- Add thyme.
- Cover the slow cooker and set on low for 6 hours.
- When ready, pull the roast out (be careful as it's very tender and may easily fall apart).
- Pull the meat apart on a plate. Return to the slow cooker. Stir everything in together.