Pumpkin French Toast Bake – your favorite breakfast made the easy way! French toast bake with pumpkin and spice and my best crumb topping. You can even make it the night before!
Starting the weekend or a holiday with a good breakfast is a must in our family. It makes for the perfect start to a special day and gets everyone in celebratory mood. This easy take on French toast is my favorite way to enjoy a long, sit-down breakfast with my Hubby and our kids. Since we are a family of five, it takes me a while to make everyone individual French toasts the traditional way. By the time I am ready to sit down to eat, everyone else is done. You have to make it and serve it as you go. Same with pancakes. I strive for all of us to have sit-down family meals as much as possible. It creates memories and strong bonds in the family and it’s really important.
Easy breakfast casseroles are the answer! Minimal prep, bakes in the oven while you set the table, absolutely delicious – win!
Spend time decorating your home with the family, watching your favorite holiday movies, play twister in Christmas pajamas (true story!) instead of standing by the stove while everyone else is having fun. Let the oven do the work for you (you already prepped the dish the night before), then enjoy a generous serving of this Pumpkin French Toast with a cup of hot coffee (maybe with a splash of my Pumpkin Spice Coffee Creamer?) while the kids enjoy it with hot chocolate. Best morning ever!
Cubes of French bread are soaked in pumpkin egg mixture spiced up with my Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice (this stuff is the best!!), topped with graham cracker crumb topping (!!!) and baked to perfection.
If you had a chance to catch a glimpse of my Best Pumpkin Coffee Cake, you know that it is topped with the best crumb topping ever. Guess what? So is this French toast bake! I actually keep the crumb topping mixture in a ziploc bag in my freezer. Whenever I make muffins or a coffee cake that needs that extra something – I pull it out and it’s ready to be sprinkled on top. It bakes into sweet and crunchy bits of goodness that will make you weak in your knees! You NEED to try it!
NOTE: – For this recipe, I used half of the original amount of the graham cracker crumb topping but feel free to double the amounts listed in the recipe box if you are a huge crumb topping lover!
– This recipe uses a whole 15oz. can of pumpkin puree (not pie filling!) so no worries about leftover pumpkin!
– Do not use freshly baked bread for this recipe. It is better to use stale bread (two day old) or toast the bread cubes in the oven before assembling the dish.
– If you like to add a drizzle of maple syrup over your French toast, use the amount of brown sugar specified in the recipe. If you don’t like maple syrup, use additional 1/4 cup of sugar. The pumpkin egg mixture is not sweet enough without the addition of maple syrup. While I know that most folks like to drizzle maple syrup over their French toast, I want to you to know what to expect and have options. And most of all – enjoy this delicious Pumpkin French Toast Bake with my favorite crumb topping!
If you are looking for a special breakfast idea for Thanksgiving or Christmas or any weekend this season, but don’t want to spend too much time in the kitchen – this French toast bake is perfect for you! Don’t get stuck in the kitchen, celebrate the season, create memories and watch everyone love this breakfast bake. Every last crumb is bound to be gone!
- 1 loaf French or Italian bread cubed
- 1 cup milk
- 1 15 oz . can pumpkin puree not pie filling
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons and 1/2 pumpkin pie spice try my Homemade version
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar see note
- 2 Tablespoons + 1 teaspoon packed brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons + 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons graham cracker crumbs I used plain honey
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tablespoon butter melted, cooled to room temperature
In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together both sugars, cinnamon, salt, graham cracker crumbs and flour. Add melted butter (cooled!) and stir everything together with a fork until coarse crumbs form.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Grease a 13" x 9" baking dish.
Arrange bread cubes in the dish.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, pumpkin puree, vanilla, pumpkin pie spice and sugar.
Pour pumpkin mixture over bread cubes. Gently toss to coat. If you are preparing this dish the night before, cover the dish at this point with saran wrap and refrigerate overnight. In the morning, let the dish sit on the counter for 15 minutes, to come to room temperature.
Sprinkle with graham cracker crumb topping.
Bake 38 to 42 minutes, until top is crunchy and egg mixture is set.
Dust with powdered sugar, if desired.
Serve with maple syrup, if desired.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet or #crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out!
The Best Pumpkin Coffee Cake ( <— with graham cracker crumb topping!!)