Perfect Breakfast Casserole - everything you love about breakfast in one easy and delicious casserole! Bacon, sausage, mushrooms, peppers, onions, hash browns, eggs and cheese. This breakfast bake is perfection!
I shall call this the ultimate breakfast casserole. It has everything we love about breakfast (the savory type) and is so satisfying, it's perfect for a holiday morning or a weekend. Bacon, sausage, mushrooms, peppers, onions, potatoes, eggs and cheese. All of rolled into one casserole. It is my go-to dish for holiday breakfast or snowy weekend. It fills you up so you can enjoy the planned activities. On Christmas morning, I know that breakfast will be the last thing on our kids' minds and they will be busy playing afterward. I need to make something that will make their bellies happy for a while!
Ingredients (your shopping list):
- pork sausage
- red and green bell peppers
- sweet onion
- 24oz bag of diced hashbrowns or potatoes O'Brien
- shredded mozzarella and cheddar
- salt and pepper
How to make it?
Place potatoes in a large mixing bowl.
In a large skillet, cook bacon until almost all pieces are crispy. Add sausage and cook until done. Add garlic and all diced veggies (onion, peppers and mushrooms). Cook until onions are translucent.
Add the sausage veggie mixture and half of the cheese to potatoes and stir in gently. Spread the mixture in a baking dish.
Whisk together eggs and milk. Add salt and pepper and whisk together. Pour the egg mixture over potatoes. Sprinkle remaining cheese over the top.
Bake until sizzling and the cheese is melted.
Can I make it ahead of time?
To make this breakfast ahead, I recommend thawing the potatoes in the bag in your fridge. Cook the veggies and sausage, cool and place in an airtight container. In the morning all you need to do is mix everything together, whisk eggs with milk, pour over potatoes and bake it all together. Everyone will be happy to sit down to this goodies filled breakfast!
Already prepared breakfast casserole can be frozen for up to 2 months. When ready, place it in the fridge to thaw, then bake in 350 degrees F until heated all the way through.
Any leftovers should be stored in a container with lid, in the fridge, for up to 3 days. Heat up in the microwave or oven.
More breakfast recipes:
- Pumpkin French Toast Bake
- Sausage Gravy
- Cinnamon Roll French Toast Casserole
- Freezer Breakfast Sandwiches
- Sheet Pan Pancakes
For more recipes like this one, feel free to browse our Breakfast Category.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
Perfect Breakfast Casserole
- 4 slices bacon diced
- 1 lb pork sage sausage
- ½ red bell pepper diced
- ½ sweet onion diced
- ½ green bell pepper diced
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 white mushrooms washed and sliced
- 24 oz bag of diced hash browns OR potatoes O'Brien thawed
- 1 cup shredded cheese I used a mix of mozzarella and cheddar
- 4 large eggs beaten
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Butter a 13" x 9" baking dish. Set aside.
- Place potatoes in a large mixing bowl.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until almost all pieces are crispy. Add sausage and cook until done.
- Add garlic and all diced veggies (onion, peppers and mushrooms). Cook until onions are translucent.
- Add the sausage veggie mixture and half of cheese to potatoes and stir in gently. Spread the mixture in prepared baking dish.
- In a large measuring cup or small bowl, whisk together eggs and milk. Add salt and pepper and whisk together.
- Pour the egg mixture over potatoes.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese over the top.
- Bake for 40 to 43 minutes or until sizzling and the cheese is melted.
- Let stand 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate.
This recipe was originally published on December 15th, 2015 and updated on October 22nd, 2019.