Pumpkin French Toast Bake – your favorite breakfast made the easy way! French toast bake with pumpkin and spice and my best crumb topping. You can even make it the night before!
This sweet bake is perfect served with a steaming hot mug of my Skinny Pumpkin Spice Latte.
PUMPKIN FRENCH TOAST BAKE
Starting the weekend or a holiday with a good breakfast is a must in our family. It makes for the perfect start to a special day and gets everyone in the celebratory mood. This easy take on French toast is my favorite way to enjoy a long, sit-down breakfast with my Hubby and our kids. Since we are a family of five, it takes me a while to make everyone individual French toasts the traditional way. Easy breakfast casseroles are the answer! Minimal prep, bakes in the oven while you set the table, absolutely delicious – win! Let the oven do the work for you – you already prepped the dish the night before.
Pumpkin French Toast Bake Ingredients:
- French or Italian bread
- pumpkin puree (not pie filling!)
- pumpkin pie spice
- brown sugar
- granulated sugar
- ground cinnamon
- graham crackers
How to make Pumpkin French Toast Bake?
- Start by cutting the bread into cubes.
- Whisk milk, pumpkin puree, eggs, vanilla, pumpkin pie spice and brown sugar.
- Pour over the bread in a casserole dish.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Make the graham cracker topping and keep in a ziploc bag.
- In the morning, let the casserole dish sit in room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle topping over casserole and bake.
The Graham Cracker Crumb Topping:
If you had a chance to catch a glimpse of my Best Pumpkin Coffee Cake, you know that it is topped with the best crumb topping ever. Guess what? So is this French toast bake! I actually keep the crumb topping mixture in a ziploc bag in my freezer. Whenever I make muffins or a coffee cake that needs that extra something – I pull it out and it’s ready to be sprinkled on top. It bakes into sweet and crunchy bits of goodness that will make you weak in your knees! You NEED to try it!
Tips for the best Pumpkin French Toast Bake:
– This recipe uses a whole 15oz. can of pumpkin puree (not pie filling!) so no worries about leftover pumpkin!
– Do not use freshly baked bread for this recipe. It is better to use stale bread (two days old) or toast the bread cubes in the oven before assembling the dish.
– If you like to add a drizzle of maple syrup over your French toast, use the amount of brown sugar specified in the recipe. If you don’t like maple syrup, use an additional 1/4 cup of sugar. The pumpkin egg mixture is not sweet enough without the addition of maple syrup. While I know that most folks like to drizzle maple syrup over their French toast, I want to you to know what to expect and have options. And most of all – enjoy this delicious Pumpkin French Toast Bake with my favorite crumb topping!
More Breakfast Casseroles:
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet or #crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out!
Your favorite breakfast made the easy way! French toast bake with pumpkin and spice and my best crumb topping. You can even make it the night before!
- 1 loaf French or Italian bread cubed
- 1 cup milk
- 15 oz can pumpkin puree not pie filling
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2.5 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice try my Homemade version
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar see note
- 2 Tablespoons + 1 teaspoon packed brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons + 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons graham cracker crumbs I used plain honey
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tablespoon butter melted, cooled to room temperature
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together both sugars, cinnamon, salt, graham cracker crumbs and flour. Add melted butter (cooled!) and stir everything together with a fork until coarse crumbs form.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 13" x 9" baking dish.
- Arrange bread cubes in the dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, pumpkin puree, vanilla, pumpkin pie spice and sugar.
- Pour pumpkin mixture over bread cubes. Gently toss to coat. If you are preparing this dish the night before, cover the dish at this point with saran wrap and refrigerate overnight. In the morning, let the dish sit on the counter for 15 minutes, to come to room temperature.
- Sprinkle with graham cracker crumb topping.
- Bake 38 to 42 minutes, until top is crunchy and egg mixture is set.
- Dust with powdered sugar, if desired.
- Serve with maple syrup, if desired.
If you don't like maple syrup or simply don't have any on hand, add additional 1/4 cup of brown sugar to egg-pumpkin mixture. The bake is not sweet enough without the addition of maple syrup. While I know that most folks like to drizzle maple syrup over their French toast, I want to you to know what to expect and have options.
Here is the link to my Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice recipe -->> https://www.crunchycreamysweet.com/homemade-pumpkin-pie-spice/
Do not use freshly baked bread for this recipe. It is better to use stale bread (two day old) or toast the bread cubes in the oven before assembling the dish. To toast the bread: preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Arrange bread cubes on a large baking sheet and toast for 7 to 10 minutes. Cool and use in the dish.