These Salmon Patties are made with canned or baked salmon and deliciously flavored with lemon, dill and garlic. These easy seafood cakes are crispy on the outside and flaky on the inside!
If you found yourself with a can of salmon or have leftover roasted salmon, you can turn it into a whole new meal or appetizer with this recipe for Salmon Patties! They are flavorful cakes, pan-fried until golden and served with vegetables and dipping sauce.
If you don’t like canned salmon, bake fresh fillets in the oven (in foil packets to prevent drying), cool them and flake them with a fork. If you are using leftovers from my foil packets recipe, skip the garlic and salt. The fish will already have plenty of it.
- salmon (canned or roasted)
- garlic: freshly minced or in a jar
- onion: I used yellow
- lemon zest
- large egg
- breadcrumbs: I used plain but Italian style work too
- salt and pepper
- dill: dried or fresh
How to make Salmon Patties?
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Add more breadcrumbs if needed.
- Scoop 1/4 cup of mixture and shape into patties.
- Heat up oil and butter in a pan.
- Fry patties until golden brown on each side.
Can I freeze them?
Absolutely! Once you cook the patties, cool them completely, then place them on a freezer paper-lined baking sheet and freeze. Then place in a freezer bag or a container. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge and reheat.
What to serve with Salmon Patties?
As you can see on the photo, I served them with steamed broccoli. Roasted asparagus, green beans or sauteed spinach pair with the patties perfectly as well. Don’t forget the garlic aioli or my homemade tartar sauce for dipping!
More recipes with salmon:
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment!
These Salmon Patties are deliciously flavored with lemon, dill and garlic. These easy seafood cakes are crispy on the outside and flaky on the inside! You can used canned salmon or leftover roasted salmon.
- 1 cup cooked salmon see note
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped yellow onion
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
If you are using oven-baked salmon, make sure to cool it completely. Flake it with a fork and place in a large bowl. If using canned salmon, make sure to drain it well.
Add garlic, onion and lemon zest. Add salt, pepper, dill and egg. Mix everything together.
Add breadcrumbs and mix well.
Scoop 1/4 cup of mixture and shape into patties.
Heat up oil and butter in a skillet.
Fry each patty for 2 to 3 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- To bake fresh salmon, follow my recipe for Salmon Foil Packets, but skip the lemon slices and garlic. The salmon will be perfectly juicy for this recipe. If using canned salmon, use one 14.75 ounce can. Drain it well.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate. Always use calorie counter you are familiar with.