One Pot Cheesy Sausage Penne Recipe – hearty and satisfying one pan pasta dinner. Italian sausage, quick tomato sauce and penne pasta with cheesy topping is perfect for busy weeknights.
Busy weekdays are upon us, as the school gradually goes back into session. And don’t get me started on the holiday season slowly creeping up on us. Things will get busy fast! Quick and easy dinners will save your day! Especially one pot pasta dinners with a ton of flavor and of course, a cheesy topping. My family loves my One Pot Meatballs and Tortellini with a side of Garlic Bread. One vegetarian nights, I make One Pot Mushroom Spinach Pasta with Beans. But when we need a really hearty meal, I go with Italian sausage and penne combo.
This one is another big winner! You can get this One Pot Cheesy Sausage Penne on the table in under 30 minutes. Bonus, no pile of dishes to clean up afterwards! Just one skillet and plates.
HOW TO MAKE ONE POT PASTA
To make one pot pasta dinner, you need to saute onion and garlic for a base flavors. Then add meat ( I used Italian sausage but ground beef or turkey works awesome too! ) and cook until done. Add dry pasta and sauce and stock mixture. Just enough to cover the pasta and meat in the pot. Bring everything to boil, then reduce heat to simmer and cook, covered until the pasta is done. It is good to stir it a few times while cooking. Finally, top it all off with a hefty amount of your favorite cheese and cover for few minutes, so the cheese will melt. Serve with garlic bread or breadsticks.
Cooking meat and pasta in a vegetable sauce, all in one pot is really easy. Not only it saves on clean up and time, but the flavors are more intense as everything cooks together. It is even better the next day!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO CRUNCHY CREAMY SWEET NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE NEW RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS RIGHT INTO YOUR INBOX!
PIN THIS RECIPE TO YOUR PINTEREST BOARD!
SHARE ON FACEBOOK
Hearty and satisfying one pan pasta dinner. Italian sausage, quick tomato sauce and penne pasta with cheesy topping is perfect for busy weeknights.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 medium carrot grated
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage casings removed
- 2.5 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1.5 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Pepper Jack cheese
- chopped basil for garnish
- Heat up oil in large skillet. Add chopped onion and minced garlic and saute on medium heat for 2 minutes. Add shredded carrot and saute until onion is translucent.
- Add sausage and cook until done, breaking it up with a wooden spatula.
- Add pasta, crushed tomatoes and stock to pot. Stir well. Season with salt and pepper. Bring all to a boil. Reduce the heat to simmer. Cook, covered, stirring often, until the pasta is done.
- Remove from heat and uncover pot. Top pasta with shredded cheese. Cover for 3 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
This dish is great reheated the next day. It can also be frozen for up to 3 months.
One Pot Chicken Penne (Facebook video)