One Pot Cheesy Tortellini and Meatballs Recipe is an easy weeknight meal that your family will love! Cheesy, saucy, and made with just a few ingredients!
Why You'll Love This Dish
We have a busy week ahead and I am back to my one-pot dinners. They are crazy easy and always a hit. If you haven't jumped on the one-pot dinners wagon yet - do it now! You will love the convenience of cooking everything together and all of the options that you have with this type of recipe. It is so easy!
All you need to do is brown the meat with sauteed onions and garlic, then add pasta and liquids, and seasoning. That's it! Let it all simmer until the pasta is done and meat cooked through and it's ready for the table. Oh, and may I suggest that our Cheesy Garlic Bread is just a PERFECT side with this dish? 🙂
- frozen Italian meatballs
- cheese-filled tortellini
- crushed tomatoes
- chicken stock
- mozzarella cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- seasoning: dried oregano, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper
- garlic, onion
What to do with a bag of frozen meatballs?
I had half of a bag of frozen Italian meatballs left over and I knew I wanted to make another recipe with them to share here on the blog. It also just happened that I had a package of cheese tortellini (my kids love them!) and it just sounded like a great dish already. Initially, I was going to cook the pasta then add thawed meatballs and sauce to a casserole dish and bake it all in the oven. But then I wondered if it will work the one-pot style - cooked together in one skillet. It did! And it came out perfectly sauce, cheesy and so so delicious!
Can I make this recipe and freeze it?
Yes! This cheesy casserole is perfect to make ahead. Assemble in a freezer-safe dish and place in freezer for up to 6 months. Thaw out in the fridge and then bake as directed in the recipe below.
- you can use penne or farfalle (bow tie) pasta in this dish as well as spaghetti or fettuccine.
- I used store-bought fully cooked meatballs but by any means, feel free to use homemade meatballs.
- You can use spaghetti sauce but I like to use crushed tomatoes and my own mix of seasoning.
If you know you have a busy week ahead or suddenly things get crazy but you know, people need to eat, OR you have a friend that just had a baby or is recovering after a sickness - make this for them and they will love you forever!
More One-Pot Recipes:
If you like this recipe and make it, let me know in the comments below! Don't forget to rate it if you enjoyed it!
One Pot Cheesy Tortellini and Meatballs
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced or grated
- ½ medium onion diced
- 8 oz cheese tortellini
- 35 meatballs (if frozen thawed completely; I used fully cooked, Italian style)
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup water or chicken stock
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups freshly grated mozzarella cheese
- ¾ cup grated Parmesan
- Melt butter with olive oil in a large saucepan or skillet.
- Add onions and garlic and sautee for about 3 minutes, stirring often.
- Add meatballs and brown on all sides.
- Add tortellini, crushed tomatoes, water, oregano and Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low and simmer for about 12 to 15 minutes OR until tortellini is cooked.
- Stir in ½ cup of mozzarella cheese.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Cover skillet and let simmer for 2 to 3 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate. Always use calorie counter you are familiar with.
- You need to thaw the meatballs before using them in the recipe.
- You can use spaghetti sauce in place of crushed tomatoes.