Lemon Bundt Cake recipe – the best lemon cake with a sweet glaze you will ever make! Perfect for holiday gatherings!
LEMON BUNDT CAKE
After these Lemon Burst Cookies, I knew I wasn’t done with lemon desserts. They make you happy just by looking at them and apparently you guys agree with me. This cake is based on a simple buttermilk cake batter. I added zest from the whole lemon (it’s a big cake after all) and topped it with a lemon glaze. Citrus flavor all the way! While the glaze is actually more tarty than sweet (some glazes taste too sweet to me), the cake is not overwhelming in flavor. In my opinion, the two complement each other really well. The crumb is light, the outside slightly crunchy.
Lemon Bundt Cake Ingredients:
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- baking soda
- 3 large eggs
- vanilla extract
- lemon extract
- 1 whole lemon
- powdered sugar
How to make Lemon Bundt Cake?
- Whisk dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Grease and flour the bundt pan.
- Beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer. Add eggs, one at a time. Stir in extracts and lemon zest.
- Add dry ingredients, alternating with buttermilk. Beat the mixture for 2 minutes.
- Pour the batter into the bundt pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Check with a toothpick to ensure the cake is done.
- Remove the cake from the pan onto a plate.
- Prepare glaze and drizzle over the cake.
More Bundt Cake Recipes:
Lemon Bundt Cake - perfect cake for Spring, bursting with fresh lemon flavor. Dressed with sweet glaze.
- 3 c all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 c granulated sugar
- 12 Tbsp unsalted butter softened
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 drops lemon extract
- tsp freshly grated zest of a whole lemon about 3
- 1 c buttermilk or sour milk see note
- 2 c powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp +more lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- If using sour milk: place 1 Tbsp of white vinegar in a measuring cup and fill with enough milk to make 1 cup. Stir few times and let sit for 2 to 3 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, soda, salt and the zest). Set aside.
- Generously grease and flour the bundt pan. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl of a stand mixer, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add vanilla, lemon extract and beat well again.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients alternating with buttermilk. Increase the speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes.
- Pour the batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until the toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool the cake for 2 minutes in the pan. Place a cake plate over the top of the pan and carefully flip it upside down. If the cake won't release right away, tap the pan gently until it does. Cool cake completely before glazing.
- make the glaze:
- Place powdered sugar in a medium mixing bowl. Add a tablespoon of lemon juice and whisk in, adding another tablespoon. You want thick but drizzling consistency. You may need to add more juice. I ended up adding another 1,5 tsp.
- Glaze the cooled cake.
- Store remaining cake in a closed container for up to 4 days.
If using sour milk: place 1 Tbsp of white vinegar in a measuring cup and fill with enough milk to make 1 cup. Stir few times and let sit for 2 to 3 minutes.