Easy Chickpea and Potato Curry is spicy and saucy chana aloo with chickpeas and potatoes that cook under 20 minutes.
This is a healthy vegetarian meal served with rice and flatbread.
This easy curry made in one pot and full of chunky potatoes and plump garbanzo beans, is currently my comfort food. The vegetables are cooked in the spicy curry sauce that's so rich in flavor, you will want to soak up every last bit of it and the best way to do it is with flatbread.
This Easy Chickpea and Potato Curry is perfect for your meatless dinner days or when you need a quick and easy meal with a kick. It's surprisingly easy to make and great to make ahead and heat up before serving. Make a batch of rice and store it in ziploc bag in your freezer.
- olive oil
- yellow curry powder
- turmeric, optional
- cayenne pepper
- ground paprika
- salt and pepper
- yellow potatoes
- can of chickpeas
- vegetable stock
- tomato sauce, optional
Since the whole dish cooks in one pot or pan, it will be one of the easiest you will make.
- Start by sauteing the onion and garlic in olive oil. Add the spices and cook, stirring often. Adding spices so early in cooking helps activate them and infuse the vegetables.
- Next, add potatoes and cook for a couple of minutes, stirring often. Add remaining ingredients, bring the mixture to boil, reduce heat and simmer until the potatoes are cooked.
This curry is light and thickens thanks to cooking the potatoes in the liquid. If you want it really saucy, you can increase the amount of vegetable stock and once the potatoes are cooked, make a simple cornstarch slurry and add to the dish. It will thicken almost instantly. You can also use coconut milk or heavy cream.
What is chana aloo curry?
Traditional Chana Aloo Curry comes from Trinidad in the Caribbean, where food is inspired by European, African, Indian, Arabic and Chinese cuisines. This curry has Indian flavors but is not as creamy. Another popular version is Chana Aloo Masala, that uses garam masala and crushed tomatoes. I highly recommend adding tomato sauce to this curry but feel free to skip it, if you don't have it on hand. I also made a few changes to the spice mixture I used in this recipe.
Chana refers to chickpeas and aloo to potatoes, which simply means Chickpea and Potato Curry. You can use sweet potatoes and other beans in their place.
This is definitely not the authentic version of Chana Aloo Curry, but a simplified one. Optional ingredients are noted in the recipe. Feel free to play with it and adapt to your tastes.
More Indian recipes:
- Butter Chicken
- Easy Hummus without Tahini
- Shawarma Roasted Cauliflower
- Instant Pot Sweet Potato Curry (Meal Prep)
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
Easy Chickpea and Potato Curry (Chana Aloo)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion chopped
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons yellow curry powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon turmeric optional
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground paprika
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 medium yellow potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 15 oz. can chickpeas aka garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- ½ cup tomato sauce optional
- In a large saucepan, heat up olive oil over medium heat. Add chopped onion and minced garlic. Saute, stirring often, until the onion is almost translucent.
- Add curry powder, cumin, turmeric, cayenne, paprika, salt and pepper to the pan. Stir well and cook for 1 minute. The spices should be very fragrant.
- Add diced potatoes and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring often.
- Add chickpeas, vegetable stock and tomato sauce to the pan. Stir well.
- Bring the mixture to boil, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the potatoes are cooked, about 7 to 9 minutes.
- Serve curry with rice and flatbread.
Alisca Razack says
Delish and easy
This is a great dish - big flavors! Bring on the naan!
This looks really tasty! A great addition to our weeknight dinner rotation!
Absolutely! I hope you love it!
Yum! I just love a good curry dish! 🙂
Thanks so much, Carrie!
I love a good comfort dish! This looks so good and love that it is easy!
So easy! Thanks, Krista!
Jacque Hastert says
This dish sounds absolutely amazing!
Thank you, Jacque!
I Heart Naptime says
Yum, what a great idea! Looks so flavorful and tasty!
Thanks so much!
Made this last night and the family loved it! Will definitely make again!
Woohoo! That's awesome, Amanda! Thank you!