Step by step recipe for the best Murgh Makhani aka Butter Chicken made in your own kitchen! The creamy butter sauce is bursting with flavor thanks to all of the spices.
If you never had Butter Chicken before, it is time to change that. This easy dish is creamy, saucy and rich in flavor. In only 3 steps, you can make it at home. Marinating the chicken infuses it with flavor and allows you to prep ahead of time. You will need a few spices that are characteristic of Indian cooking: garam masala, turmeric, and coriander. Cumin and chili powder further enhances the sauce and adds a little bit of heat. I add two tablespoons of butter to the finished sauce, let it melt and stir in. It makes the sauce extra rich! Serve this dish with rice and flatbread or naan. It reheats very well the next day.
- boneless skinless chicken thighs or breast
- olive oil
- tomato sauce
- heavy cream (or evaporated milk or a mixture of half and half and cornstarch)
- garam masala
- salt and pepper
How to make Butter Chicken?
- Prepare the marinade for the chicken by mixing it with yogurt, lemon juice and spices.
- Cover and chill for at least 4 hours, better overnight.
- Heat up oil and butter in a pan.
- Add onion, garlic and ginger. Saute until onion is translucent.
- Add chicken and cook until done.
- Add tomato sauce to chicken and stir well.
- Add heavy cream or half and hafl and cornstarch mixture. Stir in.
- Add two tablespoons of butter, let melt and stir in.
- Serve with rice and flatbread.
Can I make it with chicken breast?
Yes! You can use chicken thighs or breasts. I recommend thighs because they are juicier and have more flavor. Cut the chicken into bite-size pieces before mixing with marinade.
Where does the name come from?
This dish is made with a rich butter gravy, called makhani. The addition of cream makes it ultra-creamy and smooth.
More easy dinners:
For more recipes like this one, feel free to browse our Dinner Category.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
A step by step recipe for the best Murgh Makhani aka Butter Chicken made in your own kitchen! The creamy butter sauce is bursting with flavor thanks to all of the spices.
- 1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 3/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup heavy cream See note
- 2 tablespoons butter
Cut the chicken into bite-size pieces. Place in a mixing bowl.
Add yogurt and spices. Stir in well.
Cover the bowl and refrigerate the chicken for at least 4 hours, better overnight.
Heat up oil and one tablespoon of butter in large skillet.
Remove chicken from the fridge.
Add onion and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until almost translucent.
Add ginger and garlic and saute for 2 minutes.
Add chicken and cook until done.
Add tomato sauce and stir in well. Bring to a simmer.
Add heavy cream and stir in. Simmer for 2 minutes.
Add two tablespoons of butter, let it melt, then stir in.
Serve with rice and flatbread.
- If you don't have heavy cream, you can use evaporated milk or mix 1/2 cup half and half and 2 teaspoons of cornstarch.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate. Always use calorie counter you are familiar with.