Easy 2-Ingredient Flatbread Recipe – easy soft flatbread made with self-rising flour, natural sour cream and no yeast. Perfect for wraps, in place of pizza dough or dipped in curry.
The magical 2-ingredient dough is not at all new, however recently it’s gaining popularity. It’s easy, does not require any raising time since there is no yeast involved, it’s versatile and the final result is soft and delicious! You can use it to make bagels, pizza, pretzels, dinner rolls, flatbread, and pita bread. It is a mix of self-rising flour and Greek yogurt. I don’t usually have self-rising flour on hand so I made my own mix. I also know that natural sour cream has a similar texture and consistency as Greek yogurt and it is perfect for this recipe.
- self-rising flour OR all-purpose flour and baking powder
- Greek yogurt OR natural sour cream
What is Flatbread?
Flatbread is an unleavened bread, made without yeast. It is usually thin and crispy, perfect for breaking into pieces and dipping in curry or used for wraps with gyros meat or shawarma meat.
How to make 2-Ingredient Flatbread?
- To make this soft and pliable flatbread, measure out flour, baking powder and salt and combine in a large mixing bowl.
- Add natural sour cream and stir together with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Form into a ball.
- Place on a floured surface and let rest for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, grease a cast iron skillet and set over medium to medium-high heat.
- Form the dough into a log and cut into 8 pieces. Start in the middle of the dough log and cut each half into two until you have 8 pieces.
- Form each piece of dough into a ball, flatten gently on a floured surface and roll out into a thin circle.
- Carefully, place the rolled out dough onto the preheated skillet and fry on each side for about 2 minutes OR until it is golden and golden brown spots form on the surface.
What Can I Substitute for Self-Rising Flour?
Self-rising flour is a mix of flour with a leavening agent, like baking powder. You can make your own and store in a container or remember to add 1.5 teaspoons of baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon of salt per 1 cup of flour needed.
To make a fluffy and soft flatbread without yeast, you will need another leavening agent. Self-rising flour is perfect for that because it contains baking powder. You can use store-bought self-rising flour or make your own mix. It’s very easy! The flour along with Greek yogurt or natural sour cream (or coconut yogurt to keep it vegan) creates a soft and pliable flatbread.
How to Use Flatbread?
- use it in place of a yeast pizza dough, top with tomato sauce, pepperoni and cheese and bake until cheese is melted. So good!
- tore into pieces and serve with a big bowl of curry and rice.
- use as a wrap to serve shawarma or gyros meat and vegetables
- spread with hummus and top with veggies for a healthy lunch
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
Easy 2-Ingredient Flatbread Recipe
- 3 cups all-purpose flour see note if using self-rising flour
- 3 and 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 and 1/2 cups natural sour cream or Greek yogurt
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add natural sour cream and stir with a wooden spoon.
- Form the dough into a ball. Place on a floured surface. Let rest for 20 minutes.
- Next, form the dough into a log and slice in half. Slice each half into two and keep going until you have 8 pieces.
- Form each dough piece into a ball and roll out with a rolling pin into a thin circle.
- Grease a cast iron 11-inch skillet. Preheat oven medium to medium-high heat.
- Carefully, place each piece in skillet and fry on each side for 2 minutes OR until it is golden and golden brown spots appear on the surface.
- Remove from skillet and repeat with remaining pieces of dough.