This Easy Hummus without Tahini is a simple recipe for hummus made with just a few ingredients and no tahini. So much better than the store-bought stuff.
Why This Recipe Works
Homemade Hummus is one of the easiest dips you can make at home. All you need is a can of chickpeas or garbanzo beans, lemon juice, and olive or grapeseed oil. Classic hummus includes tahini, which is a sesame seed paste or sauce. Since it can be quite difficult to find and expensive, it is not at all required to make a delicious hummus in minutes.
You can easily make flavored hummus by adding roasted red peppers (so delicious!!), avocado (swoon!), or stir in veggies and spices to make a custom blend. This Easy Hummus without Tahini is so simple and quick to make, you can forget the store-bought stuff.
- chickpeas - Also known as garbanzo beans. I used the canned option but if you have freshly cooked beans, that's great too!
- garlic - I prefer to use fresh garlic to make hummus but in a pinch, garlic powder works.
- citrus juice - I use lemon juice but lime juice is very tasty too. It's just a tad bit stronger in flavor.
- oil - I used grapeseed oil but extra virgin olive oil works perfectly too.
- water - I used it to thin out the dip to my preferred consistency. It's important to add a tablespoon at a time.
How to make hummus without tahini?
To make hummus, you can use canned chickpeas that have been drained and rinsed OR cook garbanzo beans on the stove top or in the Instant Pot. Next, you need to add garlic cloves, lemon or lime juice, and olive or grapeseed oil. Add water, a tablespoon or two at a time, and blend until the hummus reaches desired consistency. Season hummus with salt, cumin, and pepper, and serve. This hummus is so much better than any store-bought stuff because you know exactly what is in it.
I use my mini food processor that came with the stick blender (affiliate link) because it is perfect and I don't have to pull out the big guy just to make a dip.
How to serve hummus?
You can enjoy this creamy hummus with pita or tortilla chips, spread it on a tortilla, top with veggies and chicken to make a delicious wrap for lunch, stir into your pasta for a healthier sauce option or even use to make veggie burgers. It's so delicious and the flavor options are almost limitless.
More dip recipes:
If you like this recipe and make it, let me know in the comments below! Don't forget to rate it if you enjoyed it!
Easy Hummus without Tahini
- 15 ounce can of garbanzo beans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive or grapeseed oil
- 3 tablespoons water
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoons salt
- crushed red pepper flakes optional garnish
- chopped parsley optional garnish
- Place beans, garlic, lemon juice and oil in a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth.
- Add water, two tablespoons at a time, and blend to reach desired consistency.
- Season with salt, and cumin. Stir.