Cheddar Bay Biscuits – the best copycat of Red Lobster’s popular favorite! These biscuits are easy, cheesy, garlicky and so much better than the restaurant kind.
I am obsessed with these biscuits! Fluffy, cheesy, garlicky, with a slightly crunchy bottom – these are the best biscuits EVER! Yep. Not only I think these are the best copycats of the restaurant favorite but I also think they are the best biscuits you will ever make and eat. When it comes to biscuits, I don’t mess around. After years or making this recipe, I can say that these are the best but also super easy to make. You will have fresh from the oven, perfectly baked biscuits on your table in under 30 minutes.
- all-purpose flour
- granulated sugar
- baking powder
- baking soda
- salt and black pepper
- unsalted butter
- cheddar cheese
- garlic powder
- lemon juice
How to make Cheddar Bay Biscuits?
- Line baking sheet and preheat the oven.
- Whisk dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Beat egg in a small bowl. Add milk and stir.
- Grate butter over dry ingredients and cut it in with pastry cutter. Add cheese and stir in.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir together. Stir in lemon juice.
- Drop biscuit dough onto a prepared baking sheet. Brush each biscuit with melted butter.
- Bake until golden on top.
Yes! You can freeze baked biscuits for up to 6 months. Once baked and completely cooled, place in a freezer-safe container and freeze. Thaw out and reheat in the oven or toaster oven.
The best way to store biscuits and keep them fluffy and soft is to place them in an air-tight container (just like you would do with cookies). If left on the counter overnight, they will dry out.
- butter: Use chilled butter and grate it over the flour mixture.
- size: You can make these biscuits any size you like. I always use my standard ice cream scoop and just love the size of the finished biscuits. Large just like in the restaurant. If making for kiddos, you may want to use a medium cookie scoop.
- butter topping: I brush the scooped dough with butter mixture just before baking and then again after the biscuits come out of the oven and are still warm.
- cheese: I highly recommend using freshly grated cheddar cheese. So much better than pre-shredded kind.
More Rolls Recipes:
For more recipes like this one, feel free to browse our Baking Category.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
Cheddar Bay Biscuits
for the biscuits:
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter chilled
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne or black pepper
- 1/2 cup milk cold
- 1 large egg well-beaten
- 2 tsp lemon juice
for the brushing butter:
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
to make the biscuits:
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, soda, garlic powder, pepper and salt. Set aside.
- In a small measuring cup beat well the egg.
- Grab butter and milk from the fridge.
- Pour 1/2 c of milk to the cup with egg and stir well. (No need to look for another measuring cup; the beaten egg should measure about 1/4 c so pour enough milk to make 3/4 c liquid.)
- Grate the butter straight over the dry ingredients. Cut in with pastry cutter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add cheddar cheese and stir it in with a wooden spoon.
- Add the egg and milk mixture and stir until all is moistened.
- Drizzle the lemon juice over the dough and give it a few stirs.
- Drop the dough onto prepared baking sheet using a regular size ice cream scoop.
- Brush the scooped dough with half of the butter mixture. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until the biscuits just start to brown on top.
to make the brushing butter:
- In a small measuring cup, mix together melted butter with garlic powder and Parmesan cheese.
- Brush the freshly baked biscuits while they are still hot.
- Let cool to room temperature and serve.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate. Always use calorie counter you are familiar with.
This recipe was originally published on April 1st, 2017 and updated on November 11th, 2019.